Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Lien Removal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: IRS Lien Removal

When I received my lien withdrawal paperwork from the IRS I sent it to TU and Equifax.  The first two times I disputed the information they wouldn't remove it because they said the courthouse verified it.  The 3rd time I asked to speak to a supervisor and mentioned my rights under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and they both immediately withdrew the liens.

Message 21 of 76
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

Just had a very nice conversation with an IRS rep who called to tell me they've approved my withdrawal. Paperwork should be in my hands within a week, she said, and, then I can get this thing off my reports. Very happy, indeed! IRS rep was very cordial, and helpful.

Now, anyone want to advise best way to get this off my reports most quickly, with minimum hassle? Sounds like some kind of faxed dispute with verifiying paperwork, that mentions FCRA does the trick?

Message 22 of 76
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Andrew22 wrote:

Just had a very nice conversation with an IRS rep who called to tell me they've approved my withdrawal. Paperwork should be in my hands within a week, she said, and, then I can get this thing off my reports. Very happy, indeed! IRS rep was very cordial, and helpful.

Now, anyone want to advise best way to get this off my reports most quickly, with minimum hassle? Sounds like some kind of faxed dispute with verifiying paperwork, that mentions FCRA does the trick?

I sure wish they were cordial and helpful with my audit earlier in the year. Smiley Sad

I wouldn't dispute. Let them do their thing. There's a chance a dispute might slow things down quite a bit. Sometimes they'll take the full 30 days to complete the dispute and if their reporting department hadn't received the request to delete by the time you initiate the dispute, then it could get verified. I'd give them a month tops. I bet it'll happen much sooner than that.

Message 23 of 76
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

Oh, man! An audit? I'm sorry to hear about that, was it as horrible and painful as I imagine? For the most, the IRS people I've dealt with have been helpful in getting me level on this issue, going back 5 years.

So the rep I spoke to didn't say the IRS would be sending anything directly to the agencies, and, only two of the agenices are reporting the lien. She said i could send the withdrawl notice to anyone I wanted to after that, but it didn't sound like getting my CR's updated was automatic. It sounded like I was going to have to do something.

Will update on its own?

Message 24 of 76
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

$45k due upon receipt. Smiley Sad     It's for business though and hopefully we'll come clean through this. So far no impact on my personal credit. I don't think it will impact my reports any. If it did, I'll come to you for adivce on getting it off after paying it.

It should update on it's own. I guess I'd search around to see how others went through it. Their policy change was earlier this year IIRC so ignore anything before 2011.

Message 25 of 76
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

Ouch...so sorry to hear about that. No tax cut for you, I guess.

I'm going to leave it alone and see where we are in a few months...

Message 26 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

@Andrew22 wrote:

Found out over the holiday weekend that the online dispute with Experian worked. And the online dispute with TransUnion worked as well after I faxed them the certificate from the IRS. The online dispute might've worked all by itself.

Equifax remains the lone hold out. I faxed them and did another online dispute, but they're still re-investigating.

Next, I'll send them a certified mail letter.

Message 27 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

Equifax finished their second investigation and deleted the tax lien.

I submitted the dispute online the end of June, and it took about 3 weeks for them to finish.

Message 28 of 76
Andrew22
Regular Contributor

Thanks for this update. I have a new little wrinkle. TransUnion and Experian both said on the phone they would delete once they received the withdrawal papework, and I am expecting that to happen as soon as tomorrow.

Equifax, on the other hand, never had the original lien reported. But, when the withdrawal was filed, they got it. I just got a ScoreWatch alert saying a new tax lien was reporting, and sure enough, there it seems to be! But, oddly, there was NO score change that came with the lien reporting. And, when I went directly to Equifax, there is no lien on their report. Very, very odd. All I can figure is that when the withdrawal paperwork was filed with the register, ScoreWatch somehow read this as a lien being filed and alerted me. But Equifax doesn't seem to be reporting. Nevertheless, I am amxiously awaiting to see what materializes with Equifax in the coming days...

thanks again for your update...

Message 29 of 76
jules79
Established Member

where there any changes on your score?once the lien was removed?thx

Message 30 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.