Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Lien Removal

tag
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: IRS Lien Removal

How do you know if you have a tax lien?  Would it be on your credit reports? 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 11 of 76
Njoy
Valued Member

WOW!!! So you had two liens both of which were reporting as released. You sent the copies of the certificate of release to the IRS and they have completely withdrawn the liens...does this mean they no longer appear on your report? 

I am so excited about that I could scream! Congrats to you for being aggressive....I am next...to the Courthouse in the AM!

Starting Score: 507 (8/2010)
Current Score: 635 (EQ-7/2011)
Current Score: 683 (TU-7/2011)Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 76
Njoy
Valued Member

MYFICO 624

How do you know if you have a tax lien?  Would it be on your credit reports? 

Response:
Yes a lien would appear on your report under "Public Records". 

Message 13 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

@Njoy wrote:

WOW!!! So you had two liens both of which were reporting as released. You sent the copies of the certificate of release to the IRS and they have completely withdrawn the liens...does this mean they no longer appear on your report? 

I am so excited about that I could scream! Congrats to you for being aggressive....I am next...to the Courthouse in the AM!

Yes, but not quite. I got one of the liens withdrawn. The other lien was denied a withdrawal.

The IRS says that I didn't pay the amount due in full, and as such they will not grant a withdrawal. They say that the lien was released because the Statue of Limitations on the collection had expired. I am not sure how they are calculating that. The tax years on that lien are 1999, 2000, and 2001. The lien was filed in 2003, and released in 2008. Normally, the SOL on tax liens runs 10 years. I thought that my husband and I paid off all our tax debts, but I don't have the records any more. I am going to write a letter to the Office of the Taxpayer Advocate and see if I can plead my case with them.

I'm not sure if the lien that was withdrawn has been removed from my credit reports yet. I'm waiting another week to see if the documents get recorded at the county. After that, I'm going to fax a dispute to the CRAs and get that ball rolling.

If it doesn't work out, I'm not too worried. The lien should drop off 5/2013, and my bankruptcy drops off 9/2013.

Just got to hang in there, and find a credit card!

Message 14 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

Update on what's been going on.

The lien was withdrawn on 6/9 and mailed to the county recorder's office.

It was recorded by the county on 6/20, and started showing up in their online database on 6/22.

On 6/22 I submitted online disputes with the three CRAs.

Equifax got back to me today and said that the lien was verified. I put together a dispute letter and FAX'd them the letter, my credit report, the certificate of lien withdrawal, and the letter from the IRS explaining that the lien was being withdrawn.

While I haven't heard back from TU or EXP, I went ahead and FAX'd the same information to TU.

I couldn't find a FAX number for EXP, and there is some indication that they are no longer accepting disputes by FAX.

I will put a dispute in the mail to EXP.

Message 15 of 76
pritchardhallhokie
Frequent Contributor

Does this same thing work on State Liens?

Starting Score: 584TU / 580EQ
Current Score: 670 TU / 680EQ
Goal Score: 720 TU / 720 EQ

Message 16 of 76
eharley0142
Valued Member

Heard back from TU the day after I FAX'd them certificate of withdrawal.

They deleted the lien.

1 down, 2 to go.

Message 17 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work!

Message 18 of 76
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yay!  Please keep us informed of the process.  Very helpful.  Pretty decent of the IRS, eh?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 19 of 76
Njoy
Valued Member

That is awesome! Thanks for the encouragement! Can't wait to see how your score improves!

Message 20 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.