Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS Tax Lien Help

tag
PayYouNever
Frequent Contributor

IRS Tax Lien Help

I was slapped with a federal tax lien in 2006 that is currently (and ironically) listed as "paid" on my TransUnion and Equifax reports, however, the tax debt wasn't paid.

The taxes either aged off (reaching the SOL) or after I filed several years worth of amended returns it turned out that I didn't owe the amount of tax originally assessed.

What I'm trying to figure out is, how do I get the tax lien removed from my CR?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: IRS Tax Lien Help

You would have to get the lien withdrawn, if you didnt owe see if they will withdraw it. If its been listed as paid it can report 7 years from that date unless you love in CA in which case its 10 years from the date of the original lien.
Message 2 of 3
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Re: IRS Tax Lien Help

"IMPORTANT RELEASE INFORMATION: For each assessment listed below, unless notice of the lien is refiled by the date given in column (e), this notice shall, on the day following such date, operate as a certificate of release as defined in IRC 6325(a)."

Hi, maybe this will help, read the above notice it pastes in funny when using my tablet.

Federal IRS tax liens normally have a box on the actual lien that contain a "certificate of release in accordance with IRC 6325(a)".

It directs that on the date in box (e) of the same form, if it has not been renewed or refiled, the lien is automatically released.

So your action steps are to go to the online site for court where the Federal lien is filed (different states may hold the records differently but most have an online portal) and find any records with your name on them. One will be the Fed Tax lien. Look at that document for the bolded box that has the above release information and right below that is box (e).  Print a copy of that page.

Next check every other entry for your name on the site and make sure a new lien was not entered. If they concluded that you paid the lien and or had been liened in error there will be another document filed with the court.

If no other documents exist your work begins arguing with TU and EQ. Submit the saved copy of the judgement to the CA's. TU is currently in settlement talks over a court case called. Jenkins et al v. Transunion google that case and you will see it affects your situation because of the source of the information being Lexis Nexis or similar third party.

For me TU was easy. Just filed dispute citing the IRC and it vanished from my report. EQ was a pain.

Search here for my user name and find post titled Equifax run around possibly solved. It was.

With EQ first line operators and online disputes seem to be dealt with in countries with cheap labor. When you call them immediately get yourself transferred to the U.S.  when you get the U.S. operator you will have to explain the situation and they will be clueless.

The magic words are "Let me speak to a MANAGER". Not supervisor MANAGER ONLY.

EQ runs an Office of Consumer Affairs and they can, according to the manager April who I spoke with, actually override and order things removed from your report.

April did not know about the IRC release and had to check with her boss. It took about 5 minutes on hold with her. She came back after confirming what I told her. Promised me it would be removed bynthe next day and it was!

End to end with EQ i was on the phone for five hours across several days and three attempts to dispute online over two weeks.

Save yourself the grief go directly for a Manager.

Hope it helps!

Mike

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.