Frequent Contributor
MarcinXP

Re: IRS installment loan affect credit score

I have to disagree and the experience I've had was nothing short of wonderful...They worked with me even when I defaulted many times and never got IRS TAX LIEN..although I defaulted and ignored their letters...I've never ignored FINAL NOTICE OF INTENT TO LEVY letter that they send certified..that just seemed to scary...Tax Lien, Levy wages, bank account...etc...

I defaulted few times and they always worked with me even when I thought they would not...I had a $500 installment..defaulted...they helped me out and set me up for $225 a month...had few job issues and now I'm on $150 a month for 12 months and $240 after that...I also disagree with saying that they have crazy interest rates or anything like that...their interest rate is WAY better than any loan or credit card I have seen...just to give you a detailed history

I owed $6,400+ for 2007 and $7,000 for 2008. I have paid $914.92 in interest in last 5 years for 2007 amount and $748.35 for 2008 amount...I'm almost done with the 2007 pay off and I haven't touched 2008 yet...with my refund going directly to 2007 amount owed..I should be done with 2007 installment in few months and I can start paying back 2008 installment...just to give you a perspective on the interest.

February Statement shows         Year 2008      Taxes you owe $7,006.18      Interest Charges   $748.08

March Statement shows              Year 2008      Taxes you owe $7,006.18      Interest Charges   $768.08

So they roughly charge me about $20 a month in interest. The only reason that taxes amount has not changes is because I still owe about $1200 from 2007 taxes so once I pay that I will start paying 2008 year..which makes sense...

BUT....in last 4 years the interest is about 10% total of amount tax I owe...in fact $20 a month in interest charges on a $7,000 amount I owe is about 2% APR which is lower than any credit card company or bank I know. On the amount of $13,000 that I owed in last 4-5 years so far I paid $1650 in Interest...over 4 years or about 400 a year...that is I think really great...that is about $30 bucks a month which if you have a credit card at 12% APR you would pay that $30 on the amount of $3,000.

I believe IRS can only charge UP TO 25% in interest on a total anyway as is stated on the installment agreement..so If I owe $7,006.18 the max they can charge in interest is around $1750...but as you can see in the last 4 years they charged me only $768.08...with the fact that I will start paying on this end of this year and also that I've changed my withholdings and get about $2,500 in refund a year in last 2 years I should be done with this in less than 24+ months which means that my interest will probably be less than a $1000 anyway so thats about $240 more dollars over next 2 years..

YMMV but to me IRS has been great..it's my fault in the first place for going exempt for work bonuses thinking that I can just pay later and being irresponsible...I've learned my lesson and won't be doing this again...in-fact anytime I get a bonus now I leave my witholdings at 0 and let them take max just so I can get a decent refund and put it towards my taxes....I'm looking forward to the day that I finish this.

Pode - seems like you had a different experience so sorry it did now work out for you

NFCU Visa Sig $25k / Fidelity Amex $12.5k / Chase Freedom Visa $8k / BOA - BBR MC $7.5k / Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k / Best Buy Platinum MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.25k / Discover IT $1.5k / SY Lowes $8k / SY Walmart and Amazon $5k / Target RedCard - $300 / NO CAPONE IN MY WALLET ANYMORE!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}