Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

I just pulled my FICO: 713. 

The two biggest factors affecting my score negatively is that 1 year, 9 months ago I had a 60-day delinquency with GEMB. Out of 12 Credit accounts in over five years - this is the ONLY deliquency on record. I would think this would raise a red flag. I did not receive a statement in October or November of that month. I was called by GEMB, informed that I was past due (surprise!) and when I told them I hadn't been getting statements they said I authorized them to begin sending e-statements (which I did not) to an email address I no longer had. 

I paid the account off in full and requested to have it closed.

Is there any way to address this? I have no debt, six figures in savings, and am doing well in building for retirement. I have worked my ass off to be financially responsible - I am furious that this happened. My job required 3-4 overnights per week and I didn't catch that I didn't get a statement - was just too busy.

P.S. Fico also said I have "too many accounts with balances." (Third factor negatively affecting my score.) I have a car lease and one credit card with $1,000 balance (out of $22,000 available credit limit.) I don't even have a mortgage. Seriously?  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mikeinak
Established Member

Re: Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

I'm in the same boat.  I have a 60 on a GEMB account.  All I can say it GW and be persistent.  They never responded to my first letter.  I sent my second one out last week.  I'm just gonna GW until its off.

Edit:  Not sure about the too many balances thing.  You sure no other accounts are reporting?  Is the car loan new?  I think I've heard somewhere that installment accounts affect your score more favorably after the balances are <70%.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where did you send it? I don't even have my old account information anymore.

I am so mad, during the time period when I got the 60 I didn't even get a statement. Crooks, I tell you.

Message 3 of 4
mikeinak
Established Member

I googled and found different addresses. My GEMB is not a Banana Republic, so I'm not sure if they use the same addresses for different accounts. I would go to banana republic site and look for a card FAQ and start from there.  Also google gemb credit and on their site they list different store cards and links.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.