Moxy1000

Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

I just pulled my FICO: 713. 

The two biggest factors affecting my score negatively is that 1 year, 9 months ago I had a 60-day delinquency with GEMB. Out of 12 Credit accounts in over five years - this is the ONLY deliquency on record. I would think this would raise a red flag. I did not receive a statement in October or November of that month. I was called by GEMB, informed that I was past due (surprise!) and when I told them I hadn't been getting statements they said I authorized them to begin sending e-statements (which I did not) to an email address I no longer had. 

I paid the account off in full and requested to have it closed.

Is there any way to address this? I have no debt, six figures in savings, and am doing well in building for retirement. I have worked my ass off to be financially responsible - I am furious that this happened. My job required 3-4 overnights per week and I didn't catch that I didn't get a statement - was just too busy.

P.S. Fico also said I have "too many accounts with balances." (Third factor negatively affecting my score.) I have a car lease and one credit card with $1,000 balance (out of $22,000 available credit limit.) I don't even have a mortgage. Seriously?  

Established Member
mikeinak

Re: Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat.  I have a 60 on a GEMB account.  All I can say it GW and be persistent.  They never responded to my first letter.  I sent my second one out last week.  I'm just gonna GW until its off.

Edit:  Not sure about the too many balances thing.  You sure no other accounts are reporting?  Is the car loan new?  I think I've heard somewhere that installment accounts affect your score more favorably after the balances are <70%.

Moxy1000

Where did you send it? I don't even have my old account information anymore.

I am so mad, during the time period when I got the 60 I didn't even get a statement. Crooks, I tell you.

Established Member
mikeinak

[ Edited ]

I googled and found different addresses. My GEMB is not a Banana Republic, so I'm not sure if they use the same addresses for different accounts. I would go to banana republic site and look for a card FAQ and start from there.  Also google gemb credit and on their site they list different store cards and links.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}