Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

I just pulled my FICO: 713. 

The two biggest factors affecting my score negatively is that 1 year, 9 months ago I had a 60-day delinquency with GEMB. Out of 12 Credit accounts in over five years - this is the ONLY deliquency on record. I would think this would raise a red flag. I did not receive a statement in October or November of that month. I was called by GEMB, informed that I was past due (surprise!) and when I told them I hadn't been getting statements they said I authorized them to begin sending e-statements (which I did not) to an email address I no longer had. 

I paid the account off in full and requested to have it closed.

Is there any way to address this? I have no debt, six figures in savings, and am doing well in building for retirement. I have worked my ass off to be financially responsible - I am furious that this happened. My job required 3-4 overnights per week and I didn't catch that I didn't get a statement - was just too busy.

P.S. Fico also said I have "too many accounts with balances." (Third factor negatively affecting my score.) I have a car lease and one credit card with $1,000 balance (out of $22,000 available credit limit.) I don't even have a mortgage. Seriously?  

Established Member

Re: Ideas on how to handle GEMB/Banana Republic

[ Edited ]

I'm in the same boat.  I have a 60 on a GEMB account.  All I can say it GW and be persistent.  They never responded to my first letter.  I sent my second one out last week.  I'm just gonna GW until its off.

Edit:  Not sure about the too many balances thing.  You sure no other accounts are reporting?  Is the car loan new?  I think I've heard somewhere that installment accounts affect your score more favorably after the balances are <70%.

Where did you send it? I don't even have my old account information anymore.

I am so mad, during the time period when I got the 60 I didn't even get a statement. Crooks, I tell you.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

I googled and found different addresses. My GEMB is not a Banana Republic, so I'm not sure if they use the same addresses for different accounts. I would go to banana republic site and look for a card FAQ and start from there.  Also google gemb credit and on their site they list different store cards and links.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.