Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity Theft - How to Rebuild

tag
cl5776
New Contributor

Identity Theft - How to Rebuild

I just found out that someone used my SSN to file fraudulent Federal tax returns. But wait, there's more. Presumably, this same person used my SSN to gain employment. Also, someone (presumably the same person) has a car loan and a home loan using my SSN.

I have already contacted the SSA, the IRS, the FTC, the FBI, and all three credit bureaus. I am trying to put permanent freezes on my credit reports but, since I have no way of validating what is actually me and what is fraudulent, they are not willing...or just straight refuse to help. They will not even send me my current credit reports because I cannot confirm the information they have on file. I already sent the Annual Credit Report Request Form via snail mail but I would prefer not to get the credit reports to my current address (mail is spotty at best).

I really do not know how to recover from this. One of my family members suggested I contact an attorney to represent my interests to the credit bureaus. Also, I was advised to file for bankruptcy. I'm trying to look for the silver lining but I cannot find it. Can anyone suggest some possible options?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Identity Theft - How to Rebuild

Sorry to hear 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
cl5776
New Contributor

Thank you for this. One question, the police will not intervene at this point. They claim that, since this is an IRS related fraud case, they (the IRS) have jurisdiction. If and when the IRS deem this as a crime is when the police will step in. I have no idea how long that process will take so, my question is, how do I get the free credit freeze without a police report? I have all the other necessary documentation completed but no police report.

Message 3 of 8
xosamandaxo
Regular Contributor

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-howard/personal-finance-credit/credit-freeze-and-thaw-guide/nF...

Im really sorry this happened! I hope you find the bastard and press charges!

Message 4 of 8
cl5776
New Contributor

Thank you both for your responses. As a side-note, I have two of the three credit reports (waiting on Trans Union) and so far there are no errorneous entries on my reports. Hopefully, this may be a huge mistake but, xosamandaxo, I have gone through the process you outlined. I will keep you both (and anyone else following this thread) updated.

Message 5 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, waiting to read your follow up.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The identity theft provisions of FCRA 605B permits a consumer to block any information asserted as resulting from identity theft from their credit report provided that assertion is put in the form of a sworn statement before an "appropriate law enforcement agency," which is not limited to local police.

It must be "a copy of an officical, valid report filed by a consumer with an approprate Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency, including the United States Postal Inspection Service, or such other goverment agency deemed appropriate by the Bureau..."  See FCRA 603(q)(4).

Any agency having investigatory authority would meet the definition.  I would contact whoever is conducting an active investigation, and show them a copy of both FCRA 605B and 603(q)(4) if they balk at providiing a report.  Inform then of your need simply for a report showing you have made the assertion before them that you did not authroize the transactions at issue. They can then put it in a bottom drawer if they so choose.

Message 7 of 8
NY2014
Established Contributor

Hello I just read your post and very sorry about what your going through. I'm going through the same situation .its frustrating. But you can't give up just stay in top of things and and if this helps your most advise is to get help from people in this forum I made horrible mistakes be sure you keep logs and reports collections that contact you.never give them anything .they will also bring more havoc..just make sure you get good advice before you seek an attorney or file BK I get calls everyday form a loan company's and threats I owe . Just make sure.you send in all documents to CRA as for trans they I think are the most on top of getting a freeze.and disputes if your disputed with EQ I would suggest to turn to the other CRA I don't know why EQ is like that but I'm in process filing a compliant regarding no seriously validating the Debt and agreeing confirming that a debt belongs to you and you know 200% it's not so believe me I feel your frustrations. It not fun
Quote :
First they Ignore you ,Then Laugh at you,
Then they fight You .Then They Win !
Gundi ..
Stray positive

Regards
Fico Score 10/6 EQ 702,16 INQ,TU 740, 9,iNQ EX 705,21 INQ,13%UTIL-
,10 yrs history,1.6 yr AA Cap1 Plat,VentureOne,QS ,Barckey RCI, BBVA,Amex BCE,CSP,NFCU Flag, NFCU Go,NFCU,Cloc NFCU busin,NFCU busin Cloc,Amex Delta busn,Bj's busn Perks,Hawaiian air busin, Citi dc, Discover IT,Chase Hyatt,U.S bank flex perks.,Am,ex Business Plat JCP. Commercial, citi Hilton
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.