cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity stolen by father 15 years ago... Next step?

tag
charmcity
New Contributor

Identity stolen by father 15 years ago... Next step?

Cleaning up my credit reports, I came across a listing for a Credit Vision entry from an account from 2008 and charged off with a balance of $4800. Original creditor MBNA.

I called the collection company today, and the gentleman was actually very nice. It appears this was an account opened by my estranged father in my name back in 2000. The addresses the gentleman listed on the account are addresses that he lived at. I have never lived at any of the addresses. We have the same name (I'm the II) and don't have a good relationship.

What's the best way to proceed with this? The remark will be removed from the reports in October 2015, but I don't want to wait. He is sending me a copy of the paperwork, and suggested that I file a police report. What's the best way to handle this?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Identity stolen by father 15 years ago... Next step?

File the police report. ID Theft is ID Theft, no matter who the culprit is, and there are very specific steps to follow in order to remove it from your reports. The ID Theft report does not require you to point a finger at anyone, only that you assert that the item in question was never authorized by you.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 4
bkelly906
Regular Contributor

Since you have the same name is it possible the CRA just put this in the wrong file? 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.