Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identity theft police report

tag
sandrachicago
New Contributor

Identity theft police report

After couple of years of dealing with CAs about 2 cards that I disputed as not mine but always came back as verified and creditors just sending me card statements as validation I'm ready to file police report. How do I go about this, do I go to police dept or I can do it over the phone? Will they ask for any documents? I don't have much, cards were opened in 2004 but they keep reselling the debt. I suspect the trucking company I worked for that had a lot of illegals abused my info but they were shut down in 2006. I already know about Identity theft affidavit from ftc which I will fill out just need to know what to take with me to police and what kind of questions to expect? Thanks for all help.

"Enriching others will flow that same energy back to you."
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Identity theft police report

Read the affidavit, it tells you every thing you need to know and do.  Take whatever documents you may have supporting your claim.

Not all police departments will take a report and there is an area on there about that also.

No idea what they may or may not ask.  I guess that would depend on the officer taking the report.

You send the reports to the CRA and tell them to block the account.  They are also sent to the creditor reporting on your CR.  Ask them for any and all documents pertaining to the account.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First and foremost, make them aware of the reason you ar filing the report.  Many law enforcement agencies may treat a mere allegation as bordering on the frivolous.

Make them aware that filing a police report is necessary under the FCRA as a requrement for enforcing your right to blockage of asserted identity theft information from your creidt report.  Perhaps take along a copy of FCRA 603(q) and 605B to demonstrate both its purpose and the fact that you need to make a sworn statement before a law enforcement agency to obtain your rights.  Possibly infer that you are not primarily concernted with their taking any investigatory action, but rather protecting your credit rating.

If your local law enforcement agency still declines, then I would make a call to your state AG office, who will understand your necessity, and perhaps make a call on your behalf to the police dept.

What to expect is hard to say.  They are law enforcement, so most likely interested in knowing if you are aware of who may have used your identity.

That becomes a bit dicy in certain situations, such as when you are aware that a family member is the party who used your identity.

If they ask, it is essential that you answer correctly, as the entire reason the FCRA wants a police report is that anyone can simply assert account not mine, but putting that asserting into a sworn statment that subjects you to criminal penalties for any knowingly false statements is considered adequate by congress to at least get the info blocked from your police report.  Be honest.

Message 3 of 4
beanie7132
Frequent Contributor

I have done this. Twice.

Once when someone hacked my Debit Card and stole all of my money on Black Friday. A second time for a US Bank credit card that colletors were hounding me over that was not mine.

For me it was simple. I took nothing with me to the Police Department. I told the clerk I needed to file an Identity Theft report. The first time, I sat with an officer and he took all of my info. That was the easiest one because I knew dates, amounts, charges, etc. The bank had given me all the info I needed.

The second one, I filled out the form myself. I let the clerk know that I had minimal info because the account was never mine to begin with. I just filled in all the info that I could provide, mainly personal information and info on the creditors who were hounding me and what they had told me about the debt. I gave it back to the clerk who entered it in the system with me standing right there. She handed me the pink copy and circled the "report number" off the top. She then told me "dont expect too much to happen with this...." I let her know I was not expecting them to do anything with it considering there are other crimes more important but I just needed it documented for my records.

The first report (debit card number stolen) took three freaking hours. I think the officer just didnt want to do any REAL work. The second took less than 45 minutes.

Police departments do vary. Dont expect anyone to rally show any sympathy.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.