Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I add myself to a family members account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I add myself to a family members account

If I add myself to a family members account who has a good history of on time payments. Will that raise my credit score if credit history is what I need? Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: If I add myself to a family members account

Being an authorized user will add some age to your accounts and could possibly give you a bump depending on the account you are being added to.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 2 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If I add myself to a family members account who has a good history of on time payments. Will that raise my credit score if credit history is what I need? Thanks.

Yes it can help you IF the account is older than any of yours (older than your current AAoA is even better), IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. How long after being added will the score reflect the potential increase in the score and is there a process to re-evaluate the score to see a change sooner?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long it takes to affect your score depends on how long it takes the CC to start reporting it to the CRA.  It will affect your score as soon as it is reported though.  You can request a rapid rescore.

Message 5 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I do not believe you can rapid rescore to add an AU account.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told, and it was true for me, that most CCC's report right around the time that they bill the primary cardholder.  I would time being added as an AU a week before they bill.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.