Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay a collection

tag
annm
New Contributor

If I pay a collection

That is reporting for some $900 and I pay a settled amount of $500 am I right in assuming this will reduce my utilization by that $900 and it will be updated with a 0 balance, "less than full amount" ? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Re: If I pay a collection

I think utilization is only from open revolving or installment accounts. The OC should be reporting 0 balance if the CA is reporting a balance and that should be reporting as a collection account. It will be separate from utilization.
Others with more experience will offer more better advice.
Message 2 of 7
dursty87
Established Contributor

Collections don't count into your utilization. However a closed account that is being reported by the OC as still owing a balance will count towards your utilization as debt owed.
Message 3 of 7
dursty87
Established Contributor

Adding because I'm on mobile and can't edit. The only time the OC account will show a 0 balance ( or should ) is when they have sold the debt and no longer own it.
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the OC still owns the debt, they will be reporting the debt balance, and payment will reduce your reported % util if the creditor is still reporting both your CL and debt balance.

If the OC has sold the debt, the balance should already be $0.

If they accept less than the full amount, yes, the debt balance will still be $0, but they have the option of additioally reporting paid/settled for less.

You can request, as a condition for paying, their agreement not to report paid for less.

Message 5 of 7
annm
New Contributor

The OC sold the debt to Midland who continues to tack on interest. Original balance was $685 - reporting as closed / $0 from the OC, but Midland updates with a new amount every few months. So this would factor into utilization, right?

Message 6 of 7
dursty87
Established Contributor

No it won't affect your utilization at all.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.