cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I pay off a collection before the 30 days collections letter was sent out .

tag
creditslave12

If I pay off a collection before the 30 days collections letter was sent out .

I was sent a collection letter 7/24/2012 advising me I have 30 days to dispute (Which I don't dispute). If I pay the amount owed before the 30th day can the collection agency still report this on my credit? Also would it be better to deal directly with the lender as oppose to the collection agency?
Thank You
Brian

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: If I pay off a collection before the 30 days collections letter was sent out .

@creditslave12 wrote:

I was sent a collection letter 7/24/2012 advising me I have 30 days to dispute (Which I don't dispute). If I pay the amount owed before the 30th day can the collection agency still report this on my credit? Also would it be better to deal directly with the lender as oppose to the collection agency?
Thank You
Brian

The couple times I have received dunnings and paid within the 30 day window; It has not reported. 

Doesn't mean it can't, but the threat of it is what compels people to pay, and usually they won't report if you pay before they do.

You can always attempt to get that in writing, but I never did.. It hasn't bitten me yet, by YMMV as there are some who have been burned

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.