cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I start to pay on my student loans will that improve my score?

tag
annm
New Contributor

If I start to pay on my student loans will that improve my score?

Back in 2002 I defaulted on 4 loans. They were with College Foundation. Apparently they were then moved to State Education Assistance Authority years later. So on my credit report these 4 loans are listed 8 times.

Back in 2009 I consolidated the loans so that I could go back to school. They are with direct loan services and fedloan servicing. These are positive installments on my account now.

Right now I have a forebearance on the account due to financial hardship but I'm willing to suck it and be broke and eat ramen while trying to fix my credit. But my question is would paying on it now RAISE my score or is my score pretty much what it's going to be until I get some of the negative items off? I don't want to start paying on them just yet if my score isn't going to move.

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
bahbahd
Established Contributor

Re: If I start to pay on my student loans will that improve my score?

Get negatives off first. SL with deferred payments or loans in repayment affect scores the same. Missing payments on SL accounts is a different story.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.