cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If divorce decrees don't release obligation to debt...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

If divorce decrees don't release obligation to debt...

Why does Transunion offer this option?

"I am no longer liable for this account per divorce decree"

I'm trying to determine the purpose of it if there is no legal basis for it. It applies to 5 entries on my CR. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: If divorce decrees don't release obligation to debt...

@Anonymous wrote:

Why does Transunion offer this option?

"I am no longer liable for this account per divorce decree"

I'm trying to determine the purpose of it if there is no legal basis for it. It applies to 5 entries on my CR. 

If your divorce decree makes your spouse responsible for paying off joint debts, and he or she defaults, creditors can still pursue you for the debt and put negative information on your credit report.

Directly from TU's website (which you can find in their FAQ section)

Q Why are some of my accounts showing as joint, even after a divorce?
A The creditor is currently reporting the disputed information as a joint obligation. When co-signing for credit, you are equally responsible for repayment of that obligation. Unless you and the creditor agree to remove your name from the account, we will report these debts and subsequent credit information in the names shown on the contract or application. If the creditor agrees to release you from any obligation, please notify us immediately and we will re-investigate the account.
A divorce decree does not override an original contract with a creditor. Any credit history established jointly before a divorce can be reported under both names shown on a contract or an application. If you have notified the creditor(s) and they are willing to release you from your obligation, please notify us and we will re-investigate the account.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

In other words, unless you've contacted those 5 creditors and they've agreed to remove you from the account, you're still responsible for the debt, regardless of what your divorce decree says.  Judges can't just dismiss your responsibility.  If the judge ordered your spouse to pay, and the spouse doesn't pay the debt, you can take them back to court for contempt and ask that they be ordered to make reimbursements to you for any money you've paid on the debt after the order was singed. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In other words, unless you've contacted those 5 creditors and they've agreed to remove you from the account, you're still responsible for the debt, regardless of what your divorce decree says.  Judges can't just dismiss your responsibility.  If the judge ordered your spouse to pay, and the spouse doesn't pay the debt, you can take them back to court for contempt and ask that they be ordered to make reimbursements to you for any money you've paid on the debt after the order was singed. 

I understand this.

My question is specifically about TU offering as that as a dispute option. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an option if the account was joint before Divorce and your Ex (Judge whatever) has agreed to release you and you need a dispute reason to RE investigate.  Helps avoid frivilous dispute requests in duplicate?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.