cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If goodwill is done, how are late payments removed early by the OC?

tag
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

If goodwill is done, how are late payments removed early by the OC?

I'm in the process of trying to get a late removed on one of my student loans. The school is servicing the loan and I talked to them last week and they were a little taken back when I asked them to remove my late payment, because apparently they are not familiar with goodwills and want to make sure they're not doing anything illegal.

What can I say to them and is there something specific in the FCRA that I can reference to help the school understand that they would not be doing anything illegal? What can they do specifically to get this late removed and still be abiding by the law? That is, what would they have to do when reporting to the CRAs of this late payment removal? How would it show up on my CR once the change has been processed? 

Example:

The Experian CR has a chart that shows your monthly status of the loan.

April: OK

May: 30

June: OK

July: OK

Would the lender submit a change to the CRAs and basically say "For the month of May, this account has no data to report"? Would the new Experian report look like this once the change has been updated? Because otherwise, if they put OK for May, wouldn't that be technically inaccurate reporting since I was in fact late in May?

April: OK

May: No data

June: OK

July: OK

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If goodwill is done, how are late payments removed early by the OC?

That is how they've done it for me in the past.  Just put no data.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Shogun.

Also, if GW is done, do banks usually let you know that they have done so or simply send the update to the CRA? If they simply send the update to the CRA, how long would it take once they send the update to be reflected in the CR?

I have the Equifax Advantage Plan and get alerts on key changes on my CR. Would a late payment removal be a key change? Or do I simply have to keep looking at my CRs often?

Message 3 of 10
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to bump this. Anyone have an answer to the question below? Thanks.

If GW is done, do banks usually let you know that they have done so or simply send the update to the CRA? If they simply send the update to the CRA, how long would it take once they send the update to be reflected in the CR?

I have the Equifax Advantage Plan and get alerts on key changes on my CR. Would a late payment removal be a key change? Or do I simply have to keep looking at my CRs often?

Message 4 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@money_talks wrote:

Sorry to bump this. Anyone have an answer to the question below? Thanks.

If GW is done, do banks usually let you know that they have done so or simply send the update to the CRA? If they simply send the update to the CRA, how long would it take once they send the update to be reflected in the CR?  It can happen either way, you will be told or they can just update your CR.  It can take up to 90 days.

I have the Equifax Advantage Plan and get alerts on key changes on my CR. Would a late payment removal be a key change? Or do I simply have to keep looking at my CRs often?  Not sure if that would qualify as a key change or not.  How old and what kind of late payment is it?

Message 5 of 10
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Guiness: The late payment is a 30 day that occurred in February 2011.

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 10
money_talks
Frequent Contributor

Really? I was really concerned about this late payment. In a way I still am because the account is in good standing and current, however it is listed in my CR as a "negative account", which I assume looks bad in a manual review, especially if the person reviewing it does not go into the detail and sees that it is ony a one 30 day late on there.

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Score wise it isn't impacting your score.  Single 30 day lates stop hurting after about 2 years,

There may be creditors that would not like seeing it.  On a manual review they would be able to see your past payment history.

Nothing wrong with sending a GW asking for it to be removed.

Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Simply reporting no data, or not reporting at all, wont remove the prior reporting.

Furnishers usuallly report monthly be simply repeating the full string of data, and updating those codes where information has changed.

That signifies that the prior status remains the same, or has changed.  If they omit any specific code, that implies no change without specifically reporting as such.

The pror status is assumed to continue.

They must, to remove any prior reporting, specifically instruct the CRA to delete that item.

As to the legality of deletions, the pertinent provision of the FCRA defining furnsher obligations is section 623(a)(1)(A),

That section states that a furnisher may not knowingly report inaccurate information. There is no issue of furnisher violation by deletion of reporting that was not even required in the first place. 

The argument against deletion is not a legal one, it is one of whether it is in the best interest of the credit reporting system.

By removing information that was presumably accurate, they deprive others pulling the consumer's credit report of a complete view of the consumer's actual history.

Thus, if carried to estremes, blanket deltion of prior adverse items would not be in the best interest of integrity of the credt reporting system.

In that vein, the CRAs have included in their credit reporting manual their policy statement that furnishers should not delete prior adverse reporting based on payment of a debt.  That is their business polucy in order to maintian the completeness, and thus value, of credit reports they sell to others.  It's, again, not a violation on the part of a furnisher if they choose to do so.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.