Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If i disputed a debt why is the CA asking me to send them information

tag
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

If i disputed a debt why is the CA asking me to send them information

I did a dispute on portfolio recovery and they sent me a letter stating they have previously sent  me a letter requesting more information.  I never got a letter from them, however they said they are terminating my dispute because I didnt send the anything.  What would they have requested from me? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: If i disputed a debt why is the CA asking me to send them information

I presume you sent them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), and not a request for debt validation under the FDCPA.

The direct dispute rules, at 16 CFR 660.4(f)(1)(i), states that a furnisher is not required to investigate a direct dispute, and may dismiss it as frivoulous or irrelevant, if they determine that "The consumer did not provide sufficient information to investigate the disputed information as required by paragraph (d) of this section."

Subsection (d) requires that:

"(d) Direct dispute notice contents. A dispute notice must include:

(1) Sufficient information to identify the account or other relationship that is in dispute, such as an account number and the name, address, and telephone number of the consumer, if applicable;

(2) The specific information that the consumer is disputing and an explanation of the basis for the dispute; and

(3) All supporting documentation or other information reasonably required by the furnisher to substantiate the basis of the dispute. This documentation may include, for example: a copy of the relevant portion of the consumer report that contains the allegedly inaccurate information; a police report; a fraud or identity theft affidavit; a court order; or account statements."

It is the furnisher's right to hold a direct dispute lacks sufficient information to investigate the dispute provided their holding is "reasonable".  A very broad requiement.

They must have identified what informstion that is deemed to be required.........

Message 2 of 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: If i disputed a debt why is the CA asking me to send them information

File another dispute.  Or ask them to resend the letter since you have not received the first letter sent.

Don't you just love it when a collection agency says we need your full name, dob, ss #, full address, employer, etc to identify you as the correct person before you can dispute a debt?  I have no idea if this is what the CA asked for.  But I know my personal experience (from years ago) that I would get that kind of response.  *eye roll*  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.