cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could start over what would you do different?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If you could start over what would you do different?

Put needs ahead of toys and wants.

Message 11 of 40
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Brush my teeth more and floss at least once a day.

OMG, that line made me crack up! At first, I was like "huh?"! Then when I read further I understood.

I would have a better understanding of credit cards in college (in other words - credit card does not = FREE MONEY), and understand that it is important to make sure that accounts (credit and bank alike) do not go into charge-off status (because of severe overdrafts).

I would also have made sure that I had an emergency fund, and that I did not spend every penny that I made.

I would have been more proactive with the ID theft that occurred when I was 17 and that affected me up until about 2 years ago.

I would have opened up and paid collections (pfd) when they came in the mail, instead of just discarding them in the trash (often unopened).

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 40
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

Oh, and I would have joined MyFico and began the credit repair process long ago.

Message 13 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would not have repeatedly extended my 18-22 year old self credit. I was granted credit before I was granted the sense to use it responsibly.

Message 14 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not using credit purely because I could.

+1 to the flossing and brushing.

Message 15 of 40
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@currentlywinning wrote:

I would know that bills dont just MAGICALLY disappear! And pay in a timely manner!

+200 for me

Message 16 of 40
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Don't use credit cards as an extension of money...always use it as a debit card and don't plan to spend more than what you have...ruined my credit with Providial Visa at age of 18....only had one card and did not pay like I was supposed to....did not rebuild my credit until 23 when I bought my car...it was actually not bad..bought a 30K explorer for 25K and put 5K down so had a decent 11.35% APR with a bad score....soon after got 4 $500 cards...Cap One, Orchard, FNANB and FMCC....ruined those too...now at 30 and after months and months of reading this forum and learning about CL, UTIL, SCORE DINGS, 30 day LATES, etc......I KNOW BETTER..Infact I learned to manage my credit better and my checking accounts better. I don't always PIF, but I don't spend more than I can handle and I make a payment the day that the website shows the new due date...which is cool because it means in worst case scenario I have 60 days until next payment..LOL

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 17 of 40
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

Another thing I would do differently is be sure to check my credit report every year and try to clear things off immediately. For the longest time I was too internally embarrassed to see all of the damage that had been done.  My parents are notorius for burying their heads in the sand, and that mentality extended to me when it came to finances.

Message 18 of 40
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

There are quiet a few things but when I was rebuilding the first time I wouldn't have taken out so many cards... In the end it became REALLY hard to manage the different due dates and the monthy annual fee's which made it so you ALWAYS had to make a payment. I missed a few things here and there and I am paying for it now... a few 30 days lates REALLY add up!

Also, for the 24 year old me... not answering your phone or opening your bills doesn't mean they don't exist or will go away... they won't in fcat they usually get worse...  Also, don't ever ever EVER let someone else be responsible for paying a bill in YOUR name...

Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 40
Deka
New Contributor

Pay bills on time. Not sign up for a CC. 

Starting Score: (myFICO pulled) TU 618, EQ 578
Current Score: (myFICO pulled) TU 654, EQ 642
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.