cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you could start over what would you do different?

tag
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: If you could start over what would you do different?

I would never let my 19-year-old self apply for and use a credit card - eeeeveeer!!

Message 21 of 40
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

Not ignore my student loan deferements

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 40
teenastie
Established Contributor

1. Not let Sears Card become a CO (now blacklisted from citi)

2. Not let Wamu Card become a CO (now blacklisted from chase)

3. Kept the 2 aforementioned cards open AAoA would be closer to 10 years not instead of 4 Smiley Sad

4. No Co-signed a cell phone with my cousin

5. Paid my Jetta on time (actually had the cash for the payment in the car when it was repossessed Cat Sad)

6. Not paid for my bachelor's degree in cash.

7. Not apply for Capital One last year!

8. Opted to have health insurance at my previous employers

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@teenastie wrote:

Why would you change this?  I would love to graduate college without the ~$50,000 in debt I'm going to have.

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bridgetkaryn wrote:

Also, for the 24 year old me... not answering your phone or opening your bills doesn't mean they don't exist or will go away... they won't in fcat they usually get worse...  

I couldn't agree more and this is exactly what I wish I could change.  I always just ignored bills I didn't feel like paying.  It was almost like I assumed if I didn't acknowledge them, they didn't exist any more.  What a dumb kid / young adult I was!

Message 25 of 40
teenastie
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

Why would you change this?  I would love to graduate college without the ~$50,000 in debt I'm going to have.

I would have preferred to run it through a rewards card then pay off immediately. It goes towards my AAoA which it's pretty puny considering what it could have been Smiley Very Happy!

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@teenastie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@teenastie wrote:

I would have preferred to run it through a rewards card then pay off immediately. It goes towards my AAoA which it's pretty puny considering what it could have been Smiley Very Happy!

Oh, ha.  Well that surely would have been better!

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't have treated credit cards like extra piles of cash, I wouldn't have deferred my student loans so I could have more fun travelling, and I would have enrolled in my CCCS sooner.  If only I had found this site in my ignorant youth, I might have been able to manage my finances better.

Message 28 of 40
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I would have applyed for CC when I had a substantial amount of money when I was 24.  I would never had bought a house cash deal and I would have always paid with a rewards card for the bonuses.  All that said Im so close to the semi-promised land I can taste it not just freedom but piece of mind.!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 29 of 40
andrew
Valued Member

If I could start over I would not be ignorant and wreckless about credit & not care like I was doing when I was young. I have had a rough recovery & still to this day I am still struggling to get back my credit health. Thanks to everyone on this forum I am headed in the right direction but I will be alot happier once I reach the 700 + fico score.....Smiley Happy

Starting Score: eq503,tu517
Current Score: eq529,tu566
Goal Score: eq-650,tu650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.