MarineVietVet

Re: If you could start over what would you do different?

Put needs ahead of toys and wants.

Regular Contributor
PapasWifey

[ Edited ]

FrugalRican wrote:

Brush my teeth more and floss at least once a day.

OMG, that line made me crack up! At first, I was like "huh?"! Then when I read further I understood.

I would have a better understanding of credit cards in college (in other words - credit card does not = FREE MONEY), and understand that it is important to make sure that accounts (credit and bank alike) do not go into charge-off status (because of severe overdrafts).

I would also have made sure that I had an emergency fund, and that I did not spend every penny that I made.

I would have been more proactive with the ID theft that occurred when I was 17 and that affected me up until about 2 years ago.

I would have opened up and paid collections (pfd) when they came in the mail, instead of just discarding them in the trash (often unopened).

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
PapasWifey

Oh, and I would have joined MyFico and began the credit repair process long ago.

pj2028

i would not have repeatedly extended my 18-22 year old self credit. I was granted credit before I was granted the sense to use it responsibly.

Frequent Contributor
cassembler

Not using credit purely because I could.

+1 to the flossing and brushing.

"Credit is purely a cash flow tool. Thinking of credit as extra money you didn't have before makes it an EXPENSIVE cash flow tool."
Established Contributor
NikJ4

currentlywinning wrote:

I would know that bills dont just MAGICALLY disappear! And pay in a timely manner!

+200 for me

Start Score:493Current Score:635
Goal Score: 700>>>>>App free since (umm not saying...I struggle with this)
Frequent Contributor
MarcinXP

Don't use credit cards as an extension of money...always use it as a debit card and don't plan to spend more than what you have...ruined my credit with Providial Visa at age of 18....only had one card and did not pay like I was supposed to....did not rebuild my credit until 23 when I bought my car...it was actually not bad..bought a 30K explorer for 25K and put 5K down so had a decent 11.35% APR with a bad score....soon after got 4 $500 cards...Cap One, Orchard, FNANB and FMCC....ruined those too...now at 30 and after months and months of reading this forum and learning about CL, UTIL, SCORE DINGS, 30 day LATES, etc......I KNOW BETTER..Infact I learned to manage my credit better and my checking accounts better. I don't always PIF, but I don't spend more than I can handle and I make a payment the day that the website shows the new due date...which is cool because it means in worst case scenario I have 60 days until next payment..LOL

NFCU Visa Sig $25k / Fidelity Amex $12.5k / Chase Freedom Visa $8k / BOA - BBR MC $7.5k / Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k / Best Buy Platinum MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.25k / Discover IT $1.5k / SY Lowes $8k / SY Walmart and Amazon $5k / Target RedCard - $300 / NO CAPONE IN MY WALLET ANYMORE!
Regular Contributor
PapasWifey

Another thing I would do differently is be sure to check my credit report every year and try to clear things off immediately. For the longest time I was too internally embarrassed to see all of the damage that had been done.  My parents are notorius for burying their heads in the sand, and that mentality extended to me when it came to finances.

Frequent Contributor
bridgetkaryn

There are quiet a few things but when I was rebuilding the first time I wouldn't have taken out so many cards... In the end it became REALLY hard to manage the different due dates and the monthy annual fee's which made it so you ALWAYS had to make a payment. I missed a few things here and there and I am paying for it now... a few 30 days lates REALLY add up!

Also, for the 24 year old me... not answering your phone or opening your bills doesn't mean they don't exist or will go away... they won't in fcat they usually get worse...  Also, don't ever ever EVER let someone else be responsible for paying a bill in YOUR name...

Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Contributor
Deka

Pay bills on time. Not sign up for a CC. 

Starting Score: (myFICO pulled) TU 618, EQ 578
Current Score: (myFICO pulled) TU 654, EQ 642
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}