cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have OLD medical collections READ THIS!

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If you have OLD medical collections READ THIS!

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this work for Georgia too?  Not sure if it matters, but I moved from Georgia to California.

You would have to check with the providers in GA to see if there is indigent care funds avalable.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked, and there is a Georgia Indigent Care Trust Fund, and I made sure the hospital I went to was on the list.  How does one go about it from here?

Message 12 of 27
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just checked, and there is a Georgia Indigent Care Trust Fund, and I made sure the hospital I went to was on the list.  How does one go about it from here?

I have never gone thru any of this but I think you would contact the billing office to get the help. Someone else may know exactly what you have to do.

Message 13 of 27
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Contact the office for patient financial resources (via phone).  Tell them you qualify.  Have your ducks in a row from research.  It helps if you had any prior approvals.  They need to send out app, you might need tax returns for those years, Obama care allows current income to suffice, but having both past and current income qualify strengthens your case.  Once approved at the main facility, go after doctor bills, side bills, etc.  They should honor the charity care write off.

Signature needs updating
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Imperfect....I am contacting them now in order to get this rolling.  I will let everyone know how this pans out.  Thanks MyFico friends!!!!

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok...so that was a bust.  Bummed out!!!  I spoke to a financial counselor from the hospital (OC) and she stated, once it goes to their collection company, they don't have anything to do with it.  She proceeded to transfer me to a nice lady from their collection agency, and that lady explained to me that they show the accounts, but can not honor the charity care, and when I asked why, she stated that they see that I am 39 and still young enough to work to pay it off.

I explained to her that I wasn't working at the time (most of 2011) and earned way under what the income threshold was, had no insurance and all she explained to me again was that, it is their companies' policy that, if the patient is able to work, they can repay the debt.  I am getting nowhere fast with these people.  2 of the 3 I can knock out no problem (they are $100 ea., but the biggie is $5957.10 and she sated she could lower it about $1200.  I still don't have that type of money laying around.  This is crazyness.  I even asked if there are any forms that I could fill out and submit to the VA.  I explained to her that afterwards I found out that I could have used the VA, but was never informed at any point that I had VA health benefits, just my VA loan and GI Bill.  She said no there isn't any forms like that, that the VA wouldn't approve it anyways because I could have gone to one of their facilities and we wouldn't be going through any of this.  

Long story short, I am getting screwed on this whole deal, all because I did not know what was available to me, now I am paying the price (literally) and do not have the money to pay $6k.  Any further insight from MyFico members on what I could possibly do would be tremendously appreciated, and if someone can help me get results with this, I will most definitely give them a Kudos.  

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also forgot to point out, I asked her if they would do a Pay For Delete, and she said they will not do that, they never have, and never will according to her (again, company policy).  She stated, once paid, it will show a $0 balance, but will remain for the remainder of the 7 years until it falls off.  So at this point, what is the point of paying any of it if it will fall off in 3-4 years, unless paying the smaller ones off will boost my score up a decent amount.  Frustrating. AAAArrrrgggghhh!!!!!

Message 17 of 27
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Also forgot to point out, I asked her if they would do a Pay For Delete, and she said they will not do that, they never have, and never will according to her (again, company policy).  She stated, once paid, it will show a $0 balance, but will remain for the remainder of the 7 years until it falls off.  So at this point, what is the point of paying any of it if it will fall off in 3-4 years, unless paying the smaller ones off will boost my score up a decent amount.  Frustrating. AAAArrrrgggghhh!!!!!

I suggest you Google and use the HIPAA Process on them since they wont play ball.

Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

gdale6, could you pm me and explain a little ore about the HIPPA process on this matter, I am so frustrated on this issue.

Message 19 of 27
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

gdale6, could you pm me and explain a little ore about the HIPPA process on this matter, I am so frustrated on this issue.

We cant discuss it on this board even in PMs. All we can tell you is to Google it, I would then contact its creator for help.

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.