cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you paid your debt with an Original Creditor Will the CA remove it from you Credit Report?

tag
JMills
Frequent Contributor

If you paid your debt with an Original Creditor Will the CA remove it from you Credit Report?

I have my tuition balance went to a Collection Agency, if I pay the school the amount I owe. Will th CA delete it from my record? Or Should I deal with the CA to have it remove. 

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: If you paid your debt with an Original Creditor Will the CA remove it from you Credit Report?

Payiment to the OC will require them to notify their dbt collector that the debt has been satisfied, which requres the debt collector to timely report their collection as closed, and the amount under collection to be $0.  It does not require the debt collector to delete their reporting, as it records the fact that the debt was under third party collection whle it remained delinquent.

The OC can contact the debt collector, and request that they delete their reported collection, but the reporting was not made by the OC, and thus they have no authority to compel deletion of reporting that is/was not theirs.

That begs the question of why you wish to make payment to the OC.  You can send an offer to the debt collector to make payment conditional upon their agreement to delete their reported collection.  If they accept, the debt will both be satisfied and their reporting deleted.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.