Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of Updating Addresses on CR

tag
ttrations
Valued Member

Impact of Updating Addresses on CR

Hello,

I read recently that someone had some baddies removed on Experian, once the had some of their old addresses removed?  Is there any truth to that and what kind of impact have you had removing old addresses?  

What are the pros and cons to removing old addresses.

In the garden until Dec 2014
Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Current: TU 621, EQ 564, EX 630
Goal: 670 across the board
Wallet: Cap 1 secured and unsecured, USAA AMEX secured, NFCU secured MC, Walmart, JCP, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Barclays
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Impact of Updating Addresses on CR

I cleaned up some old addresses on my CR.  However the removal of those should not affect your TLs.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
ttrations
Valued Member

Thanks!

Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Wallet: Cap 1 secured and unsecured, USAA AMEX secured, NFCU secured MC, Walmart, JCP, Kohl's, Victoria's Secret, Barclays
Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The primary use of addresses is as a matching criteria to assure any reporting they receive is matched with the proper consumer credit file.

When they receive any reporting, they have algorithms that use personal identifiers to match that reporting with and enter it into the correct file.

Their first use is of supposedly unique personal identifiers, such as SSN or tax ID  However, if the SSN is, for example, a clerical typo that does not match with your name, they may use other personal identifiers, such as full name and current or prior address, to solve the matching problem.

Making sure that both your creditors and the CRAs have the same current address is thus primarily a safeguard against administrative file mis-matching.

I would imagine that prior addresses fall very low in file matching importance.

Message 4 of 8
ttrations
Valued Member

Thanks for responding!  I will leave well enough alone.Smiley Happy

Latoshia_gray@yahoo.com
Message 5 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

TU will delete accounts if you delete old addresses associated with them (positive accounts too). I found this out accidentally, honestly just trying to get rid of a page-long myriad of old addresses. EX and EQ don't remove the addresses if there are associated accounts.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:
TU will delete accounts if you delete old addresses associated with them (positive accounts too). I found this out accidentally, honestly just trying to get rid of a page-long myriad of old addresses. EX and EQ don't remove the addresses if there are associated accounts.

which accounts though? ANY?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 7 of 8
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

which accounts though? ANY?

IME, most of the accounts were already updated with my current address, so nothing happened to those.  When there are closed accounts that reference an old address, EX will not remove the address unless you can prove that your records are merged with another person of the same name or that you are a victim of identiy theft.  It is their policy.  EQ makes it pretty hard too.  I was only trying to remove some old PO box and forwarding addresses that no longer belong to me, but they still don't like to remove these.  TU, in my case, just immediately removed the addresses when I selected the option to remove them in an online dispute.  The result was that not only were the addresses removed, but also some closed accounts.  I did not expect this to happen as it wasn't my intention to remove accounts, but I would guess that they remove anything that still references an old address.  I can only see this happening for accounts that are closed and paid with banks that you no longer have current accounts with (ie: they don't have your current address), but, although I haven't tried it aside from this one accidental incidence, I think that TU will remove anything that matches, regardless of the account type.

I am not encouraging this method as a way to remove baddies.  It only works on 1 CRA and has a good change of messing up your credit file.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.