cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of an Auto loan (Credit age, utilization and total accounts)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Impact of an Auto loan (Credit age, utilization and total accounts)

Hi All
I have only 3 cards and 1 auto loan.
The autoloan is only 18 months old. It looks like it is impacting my Credit Age.
I think it helps as it is a different type of loan.
In order to close, I need to invest around $8000.
But somehow, when we see utilization, it is showing only Credit Card balances, but not auto loan balance amount.
How it will impact, if I close my auto loan
a) Credit Age
b) Utilization
C)Total open accounts or different types of accounts.
Can someone please help me with your analysis on this. Do I need to payoff the loan or keep it.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Impact of an Auto loan (Credit age, utilization and total accounts)

If you pay off your only installment loan, your FICO scores may actually DROP.  You always want to have one installment loan reporting open and preferably under 8.9% left to pay.

Many of us use the Alliant SLL Technique to keep a perfect loan reporting for 5 years -- see my "11 rules" signature link for details.

What was the original loan amount?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your quick response.
I am in a tricky situation. My total loan amount is $20K.
If I need to bring it down to 8.9%, then it will come around $1780
My monthly installment is $447. If I pay money and only keep $1780, then loan will be closed in 4 months.
Is there anyway to keep the loan continue by reducing the montly installment without refinancing?
I think if we refinance, then once again Credit Hard enquiry and new loan number etc.
I don't want those to happen (new loan number, credit hard enquiry etc which is not good for credit score).
Please suggest me.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.
I am in a tricky situation. My total loan amount is $20K.
If I need to bring it down to 8.9%, then it will come around $1780
My monthly installment is $447. If I pay money and only keep $1780, then loan will be closed in 4 months.
Is there anyway to keep the loan continue by reducing the montly installment without refinancing?
I think if we refinance, then once again Credit Hard enquiry and new loan number etc.
I don't want those to happen (new loan number, credit hard enquiry etc which is not good for credit score).
Please suggest me.

If the interest rate is good (below what you could get from investing that $8000 in your IRA/401K), then keep it. Scoring effects should not really be considered here - only the cost of the loan. The points gained by paying it to 8.9% is not going to be signifigant - probably 3-5 points in most cases.

If the loan is expensive, then pay it off, and get a small ($500) share secured loan for scoring purposes.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is my situation based on Credit karma
Transunion        
Score-678        
Credit card use    31    Y
payment history    98    y
Derogatory marks    4    R
credit age    6year 11M    Y
total accounts    12    G
hard enquiries    5    R

EF        
Score-679        
Credit card use    34    Y
payment history    98    y
Derogatory marks    3    R
credit age    6year 4M    Y
total accounts    12    G
hard enquiries    3    R

I can be added as an authorized user with couple of friends to improve my credit age and reduce my credit card usage also. Will it helps me?
I started paying bills on time.
I need to work on hard enquiries.
How much time it will take for me to get a 720 score?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.