cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving PIF medical collection on CR - possible?

tag
Mandazoid
Contributor

Improving PIF medical collection on CR - possible?

Last spring, I had a very, very minor medical procedure and wound up with a $180 bill from it. Through a series of unfortunate events, I missed the payment notices and the bill went into collections. Once I received the collections notice, I called the CA (an attorney) and immediately made PIF. Last week, I pulled my TU report for the first time and saw this listed as an AA that will fall off my report in 12/2016. Considering that the balance was so measly, I'm mortified that I have a $180 collection showing on my account. It's listed as "Payment after Charge Off/Collection".

Is it even possible to at least improve the negative reporting on my CR to a better pay status? Is it worth a GW? And if it is, who do I sent it to, the doc's office or the CA's attorney? I'm pretty new to all this, so I'm not sure yet on what can/can't be done, especially with regard to medical bills. I appreciate your patience and help! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 609 (8/23/11)
Current Score: TU: 805 (5/27/16)
Goal Score: 820
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Improving PIF medical collection on CR - possible?

@Mandazoid wrote:

Last spring, I had a very, very minor medical procedure and wound up with a $180 bill from it. Through a series of unfortunate events, I missed the payment notices and the bill went into collections. Once I received the collections notice, I called the CA (an attorney) and immediately made PIF. Last week, I pulled my TU report for the first time and saw this listed as an AA that will fall off my report in 12/2016. Considering that the balance was so measly, I'm mortified that I have a $180 collection showing on my account. It's listed as "Payment after Charge Off/Collection".

Is it even possible to at least improve the negative reporting on my CR to a better pay status? Is it worth a GW? And if it is, who do I sent it to, the doc's office or the CA's attorney? I'm pretty new to all this, so I'm not sure yet on what can/can't be done, especially with regard to medical bills. I appreciate your patience and help! Smiley Happy

Medical can be removed from your reports. Look up HIPPA process and follow procedures.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 7
Mandazoid
Contributor

Oops! I made a new thread with a new question about this before I saw your response.

I've looked into the HIPAA process, but it appears to me as though this is only meant to work with medical debts that have not yet been paid, as it recommends that you work directly with the healthcare provider, rather than the CA.

Is there any way to use the HIPAA process or some other method to have the CA stop reporting this line item entirely? Is this the case in which I'd go the GW route? What's the likelihood that it would work?

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Hi there - I have been trying to find a way to get paid medical collections off my reports for months now.  I found this site toooo late.  There are quite a few of them that are not mine.  I filed a BBB complaint with the CA for reporting my husband's medical bills on my credit reports when I was not the insurer, nor did I sign a financial agreement.  The CA came back saying it doesn't matter, that statute dictates that his medical bills are my medical bills.  I don't know if I could dispute these w/ the CRA's or not. I haven't tried that.

I did a half-HIPAA attempt by writing threatenish letters to the OC's and got no good luck that route, either.  I think I just p'd them off, more.

I was able to get three deleted by talking to a CA on the phone but the others are stuck.  I've goodwilled etc. and I guess I can hope that the Medical Debt Act (whatever it's called) is passed that says the bureaus have to delete paid medical collections under 2000.00 after 45 days of payment in full.  Write to your state senator or whoever it is in the government we write to about such things.

Wow that is a ramble. sorry.  I wish you better luck than I had.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Mandazoid wrote:

Oops! I made a new thread with a new question about this before I saw your response.

I've looked into the HIPAA process, but it appears to me as though this is only meant to work with medical debts that have not yet been paid, as it recommends that you work directly with the healthcare provider, rather than the CA.

Is there any way to use the HIPAA process or some other method to have the CA stop reporting this line item entirely? Is this the case in which I'd go the GW route? What's the likelihood that it would work?

Hi there.I answered your other post and will go back and delete it so there won't be 2 different threads with the same subject going all at once.

Because of legal considerations we can't go into detail about HIPAA. But I can tell you that you can only pursue this approach once you have paid the OC. You'll need to do an internet search about HIPAA to find put more.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
Mandazoid
Contributor

Thanks, MarineVietVet. I was looking for a way to delete my new thread, but didn't see a way to do it myself.

Sorry for any sensitivities I may have accidentally breached. I appreciate the explanation!

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Mandazoid wrote:

Thanks, MarineVietVet. I was looking for a way to delete my new thread, but didn't see a way to do it myself.

Sorry for any sensitivities I may have accidentally breached. I appreciate the explanation!

You did absolutely nothing wrong. You had no way of knowing this subject can't be discussed extensively.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.