Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving my FICO score quickly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Improving my FICO score quickly

My husband and I are trying to get our FICO scores up a few more points so we can qualify for a home equity loan that we will use to pay off all of our credit card debt and do home improvements.  I suggested we take $5000 out of my 401K to pay down some debt so that we have more available credit which would improve our score.  After the scores come up and we get the home equity loan we could put the $5000 back into my 401K.  Does this sound like a good idea and would it do the trick?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: Improving my FICO score quickly

Depending on how high you need to go.... But yes bring down utilization is the only fast way I can think of.... It might take a month or so waiting for your cards to report the new balance but I would do that.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I are trying to get our FICO scores up a few more points so we can qualify for a home equity loan that we will use to pay off all of our credit card debt and do home improvements.  I suggested we take $5000 out of my 401K to pay down some debt so that we have more available credit which would improve our score.  After the scores come up and we get the home equity loan we could put the $5000 back into my 401K.  Does this sound like a good idea and would it do the trick?

Money taken out of your 401K will have a HUGE tax liability attached to it. Does you 401K plan have a loan option?

How much CC debt do you have, how much is on each card what are each cards limit? What is your monthly net income? How much of that is available toward CC debt? How many points do you need?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Money taken out of your 401K will have a HUGE tax liability attached to it. Does you 401K plan have a loan option?

How much CC debt do you have, how much is on each card what are each cards limit? What is your monthly net income? How much of that is available toward CC debt? How many points do you need?

Message 4 of 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I assume that those are your credit limits?  Depending on the debt you have, I agree with the above, that pulling from your 401K may not be the best route long term.  But, you know your situation better than anyone to make that decision. 

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.