cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In BIG need of credit repair. Not sure where to start.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In BIG need of credit repair. Not sure where to start.

So my fiance and I have horrible credit. Both are in the 500s. We have medical collections,late payments,etc. We were very irresponisble when we were younger and now were paying for it. We wanna start improving our credit. I know about PDFs, and GW letters. I just am not sure if it's worth it to try those if there not going to work. Most of my collections is medical, and he has a public record on his account from 2011. I don't want to just start paying them off because I here doing that makes the "clock" rewind and makes them new again, making my credit even worse then it is now. We want to buy a house in the next year or so and right now i feel kinda hopeless. Any help would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
itswink
New Contributor

Re: In BIG need of credit repair. Not sure where to start.

How old are the debts?

Are they reported by CA's or OC's?

For the medicals, google the HIPAA process, it cant be discussed here.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The earliest debts for me are 2011, and his are 2009. All of them are reported by CA's. With the HIPAA process I have researched, but it confuses me somewhat. Do I pay it of and then send a letter stated it's agaisnt the HIPPAA policy? I have no clue honestly. This is all kinda new to me. :/

Message 3 of 10
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The earliest debts for me are 2011, and his are 2009. All of them are reported by CA's. With the HIPAA process I have researched, but it confuses me somewhat. Do I pay it of and then send a letter stated it's agaisnt the HIPPAA policy? I have no clue honestly. This is all kinda new to me. :/

For help with that process you have to email the creator of it, we are not allowed to discuss any specifics on it on this forum. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 10
itswink
New Contributor

you can give details on your other baddies for help, though.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, didn't know I couldn't do that. Okay well do I start by sending a PDF to the CA's? I have 5 medical collections that range from 42-840$ 840 being the most recent. I was in a car accident and my car insurance didn't pay for the medical bill. I figured my actual medical insurance would pay it either waybut they didn't either. Then I have a charge off credit card from a couple years ago that says "paid in settlement". Then I have one bank collection for $108.00 because i cancel my account and then all of a sudden i see that on my report called them up and they said that i was overdrafted and they charged me for canceling my account. Ugh. I feel like it is never going to end.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump...just need to know where to start. Thank you :]

Message 7 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

The $108 must be paid.  If it's for banking, you're probably on CHEX SYSTEM, so pull a free report from them.

Read the HIPPA process and follow it for the medical deletions.

Message 8 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

As for the 'paid in settlement' how much of a loss did the co take?

Did you receive a 1099 for the write-off?

Message 9 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Aside from the HIPAA process, another method I have used successfully is to call the patient accounts manager at the medical facility where you had treatment.  Give them your sob story and then ask them to pull it back from the CA in exchange for full payment.  In all of my requests like that, only *1* facility refused.....and they never got paid either. Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.