Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In a weird dilema ...

tag
blk8
Regular Contributor

In a weird dilema ...

I have a tax lien from the State of CA FTB .... the lien is from Feb 2004. I now have the money to pay it off completely ($1120) but was thinking ..... isnt this going to fall off next year anyhow? And if I pay it today, isn't that going to re-start the 10 year clock?

We all know the CA FTB is not going to be removing this lien and its next to impossible to have off your report. What should I do?

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
chevyman
Contributor

Re: In a weird dilema ...

Tax lien can be reported til paid
Message 2 of 7
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@blk8 wrote:

I have a tax lien from the State of CA FTB .... the lien is from Feb 2004. I now have the money to pay it off completely ($1120) but was thinking ..... isnt this going to fall off next year anyhow? And if I pay it today, isn't that going to re-start the 10 year clock?

We all know the CA FTB is not going to be removing this lien and its next to impossible to have off your report. What should I do?

Why would you assume that the lein wouldn't be removed after being appropriately paid?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 7
blk8
Regular Contributor

Because of the numerous other threads here stating no luck in removing it from the CA FTB.

Message 4 of 7
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

Honestly? It's not going to drop off next year; tax liens report until they're paid. If this is the first time in nine years you've had the means to pay it, I would do that. You have zero chance of getting an unpaid lien removed, and maybe a 5% chance of getting a paid lien removed. That's not great odds, I know, but paying it puts you in a stronger position.
Message 5 of 7
blk8
Regular Contributor

Both Experian and Transunion confirmed if the status doesnt change, or nothing happens in the next year, it will fall off on its own or i can call to have it removed.

I was thinking of paying it all off but leaving a $5 balance. :-)

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no CR exclusion period running on a unpaid tax lien.

The 7 year clock does not begin ticking until paid.  FCRA 605(a)(3).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.