Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In desperate need for advice

tag
Roscoe_13
Established Member

In desperate need for advice

Good Morning Everyone,

I recently came across this site to get advice on rebuilding my credit.  I was never tought the importance of credit as a kid which led to alot of abuse over the years.  I am in the process of rebuilding my credit so that I can qualify for a mortgage in June of 2015.  So I have given myself 1 year to improve my credit and get all 3 FICO scores above 640, the higher the better( currently TU 649, EX 613, and EQ 622).  I attempted to get pre approved last month but was told my scores were too low.  I used some of the advice that I received on these forums to get several late payments and charge offs removed.  However I am still having a hard time with a few creditors.  Here is my current situation:

Student Assistance Foundation Student loan  1 60 day late, 1 90 day late

American Profit Recovery Lawn Care $190 reports on experian only

Capital One (Orchard Bank) Credit Card Shows as charge off but was transferred to Cavalry. 

Capital one says they updated account to say it was transferred, not charge off

Cavalry Portfolio Services Credit Card $656 total owed

DTE Energy Utilities $123 owed reporting as a charge off

First Federal Credit Control Medical $460 showing as a collection

Stenger and Stenger (HSBC) Credit Card Paid in full this month, still shows as charge off

MCI Utilities Will fall off report in 5/2015

RJM Acquisitions Utilities Will fall off report in 9/2014

Allstate Credit Bureau Apartment  Paid in full 12/2013, shows as paid collection

American Medical Collection Agency Medical $56

My credit card usage is below 30%, currently I have limits totaling $5,500, with balances totaling $1,700.  Any advice that you can give to improve scores and advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Discover IT - $1,700 | Chase Freedom - $1,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $1,500 | Capital One Platinum - $1,000 | Amazon Store Card - $1,000 | Huntington Voice - $1,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards - $12,500 | NFCU Navcheck - $13,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
GooseGirl
Contributor

Re: In desperate need for advice

It sounds like you are already making really good progress so first, congratulations on everything you have accomplished so far! I also think it's smart that you have given yourself a year to make these improvements.

- For the medical - google Why Chat Hippa process and follow what is outlined there to address your medical items.

- I imagine the couple of items falling off will also have some small impact on your score. Next year, when you are a couple months out from the item falling off you can call the CRA and try to get an early exclusion. Some of the reps will do it without issue and some will not. Keep calling until you find someone who is nice enough to do it.

- Anything still remaining to be paid I would try to PFD.

- Everything that is already paid I would write a bunch of GW letter and send the batch of letters out every month. You may see some success with that

When you are closer to applying for the mortgage you will want to get your utilization down below 10% for maximum score benefit. Since you aren't applying for anything now (I assume) then utilization isn't a big deal.

Starting Score: EQ 541 (lender pull July 2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO 673, TU08 648, EX FICO 654
Next Goal Score: 680
Message 2 of 3
Roscoe_13
Established Member

Re: In desperate need for advice

Thanks GooseGirl for your replu. I have never heard of this Why Chat Hipaa process but it looks promising. I will give this a shot. Thanks again!
Discover IT - $1,700 | Chase Freedom - $1,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $1,500 | Capital One Platinum - $1,000 | Amazon Store Card - $1,000 | Huntington Voice - $1,000 | NFCU Cash Rewards - $12,500 | NFCU Navcheck - $13,000
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.