Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of advice

tag
pnkrckkdd
Established Member

In need of advice

Being the bleeding heart I am I destroyed my credit helping my friend get back on their feet. I have steady income but the debt is an overwhelming 16k . Ive never had more than 7k to pay back. What should I do?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Re: In need of advice

Pay it.

Nothing else left to do. 

If you paid back 7k, you can pay back 16k. 

And oh yeah, don't ever do that again...

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: In need of advice

@pnkrckkdd wrote:
Being the bleeding heart I am I destroyed my credit helping my friend get back on their feet. I have steady income but the debt is an overwhelming 16k . Ive never had more than 7k to pay back. What should I do?

Welcome to MyFICO! Smiley Happy

Agree with the prior poster.  

I know this is an old saying:  How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time....

If I were in  your shoes (and I am now, this year, because I have debt from my daughters wedding two weeks ago) this is my process:

1) put your debt down in writing - preferably in an excel spreadsheet so you can see the current credit lines, current balances, interest rate, min payments and the X factor:  how much more you can pay to reduce the balance

2) sock drawer the credit cards until you get them to a reasonable level (reasonable according to you - but certainly less than 10% of the total credit limit)

3) Figure out which debt you should pay off first.  Some people like paying off the highest interest rate debt and others like paying the lowest balance first. This is strictly personal.  You can research this method - it is called the snowball method. This is where having your information in a spreadsheet is helpful, you can play with the numbers. The trick here is to pay off one card by throwing all the extra funds you have each month to it and pay minimums on the others and when that card is paid, add that payment to another debt to accelerate its payoff. As you get further into the payoffs you will see larger strides against the debt.

It also helps to rework your budget so that you have extra funds that you may not have now. Sell things around the house you don't need. Pick up a second job or small gigs if possible.  Poor all the extra funds, even if it is only a little bit like $100 or so extra, toward the debt you are paying. You will be surprised at how quickly it goes but you have to have a plan.  Beans and rice it for a while. Personally, I love black beans and rice so its not all that painful Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.