cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In need of some serious advice.

tag
pastrygirl01

In need of some serious advice.

I currently have an old tax bill that is in collections to for a town in Connecticut. Apparently I missed the part at the DMV where you are told you must pay taxes on your car ever year. Seriously I don't understand why you would even be required to do that but that isn't the point. So I owe this and I plan on paying it. The debt is from 2004 and this means it cannot be listed on my credit report. My questions is when I pay this debt can the collection agency then put a TL on my report for this debt and list it as a paid collections? Would it be in my best interest that when I go o pay this debt that I demand in a polite way of course that I recieve a letter stating that this will not appear on my credit report? There is a lot of information here and it has helped me a lot but this is something that haven't read anything on. It could just be me being paranoid but I figure better safe than sorry right? Smiley Happy As always any and all help if greatly appreciated. 

One last thing so I just go around the CA and contact the city and pay them directly? I would that enable them to put something on my credit report. The CA is a small town local company and the people seemed to be genuinley nice which was shocking. So I don't forsee them denying my request. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: In need of some serious advice.

After 7 years it cant be added to your report period. As for who to pay the CA might settle for a lesser amount but the OC will most likely require payment in full if they will pull it feom the CA.
My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 2 of 6
ABuckNow
Contributor

If it's tax related, the FCRA applies differently.  I don't know the reporting lengths on unpaid tax liens.

From what I remember reading, I think it's 10yrs reporting if it's paid, and forever if it's unpaid.

I could be wrong - maybe Robert can respond with more accurate advice.

How exactly is it being reported on your CR?

Message 3 of 6
pastrygirl01

My concern is that it isn't listed on my credit report and I would like to keep it like that. So that is why I am wondering if I should request that they send me a letter saying something to the effect of if this debt is paid in full it will not appear on your credit report. I don't know if what I am asking is really making any sense lol. Like I said I could just be a little paranoid. I know people make request of pay for delete but I don't need anything deleted I need it to not need to be deleted in the first place. I have the full amount of money in my savings so make a one time payment is easy. And yes this is tax related. I would rather just pay the full amount than to try and settle. I feel that settling might give them more incentive to make a TL for this on my reports.

Message 4 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yes it makes sense. Send them a letter asking them that if you pay they will never report. Is it a Tax Lien??
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 6
pastrygirl01

Ok so i'm not crazy thank you lol. This is a yearly property tax that I failed to pay. I'm from Jersey there are no taxes on your car after you pay for it. I had no clue that this happened. So I guess one would call it a property tax lien although i'm not fully certain of that.

Any advice on how to word the letter? Thanks again for the advice.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.