Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In regards to HSBC & CapOne

tag
dude11
Regular Contributor

In regards to HSBC & CapOne

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been through something similar before or may have some knowledge in regards to CC divisions being sold to other banks similar to HSBC and CapOne. What I would like to know is once HSBC sells the CC business in the US to CapOne will passed CO debt be passed along? Let's say I had a CO from HSBC from BestBuy that went to collections, but I paid the debt through the CA and it is done for. If I were to dispute the CO after CapOne takes over HSBC's CC business would they or could they still validate it or they would not have a record of the passed charge offs?

Also, what if I were interested in applying for BestBuy's HSBC CC again and let's say it becomes BestBuy CapOne but I wait after this is all done with will I have a good chance? Would CapOne know about my previous history with BestBuy HSBC and just deny me?

I currently have a Orchard Bank CC I just opened this year and I have 2 CapOne cards. I had a CapOne card in the past that I closed and I had a good payment history with except for one late payment.

Thanks everyone and I understand if you can't help just curious if anyone has been through something similar before.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In regards to HSBC & CapOne

I would also like an answer to this question.

My Best Buy RZMC was charged off with HSBC, I paid the CA and tried to GW HSBC with no result. I'm wondering how HSBC would be able to validate this past debt going forward, or if it was challenged it would be taken off of my reports.

Message 2 of 17
chamire
Contributor

HSBC will not remove my old charge off  account after multiple goodwill letters. They want budge at all. They did remove 2 late 30 day payments on my HSBC RMC. But for my other Hsbc card that was charge off they want even consider it, even though i sent proof that  i was hospitalized . I have been a client  for 8 years now. Every  Indian rep i get say sorry unfortunately we can not remove the information its will show paid settle in full. Hsbc is very strict on their reporting policies.

EQ542 TRAN582 EX565:
Current Score:EQ 635 TRAN 631 EX 603
Goal Score: 750

Start out : 24 negative accounts collections/chargeoff
Current : 5 remaining 2 unpaid 72 total positive accounts:Long two year battle finally i can see light
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 17
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Can I ask where/how you sent your letters?  I have a 30 and 60 day that I am trying to get removed on my Orchard Bank account.  You can PM me if necessary.  Thanks.

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have a credible answer to dude11's and my questions?

Message 5 of 17
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Capital One will become the OC, and legally required to report/validate under the same exact guidelines and laws the HSBC currently does.. any written agreement you have with HSBC you now have with Capital One - They will assume all liability, assets and debts. That includes any current or PAST account holders.

Example: You had a charge off in 2007 with HSBC,  and they sold the debt. HSBC currently reports the charge off. If you wait til Capital One takes over, and you dispute it, Capital One will validate the account throught the CRAs because they have legally taken over ALL aspects of their business.

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 17
ALHondaGuy
Contributor

Does Cap1 become a third party debt collector should they attempt to collect?

Message 7 of 17
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

No. They are considered the OC. If you owed HSBC the original debt, Capital One takes all ownership rights of HSBC's portfolio with the sale. If its unpaid, they can take any means necessary to collect the money they are due.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 8 of 17
jervusboy
Established Member

In regards to GW letters, they will now be sent to Capital One CEO or Executives?

Message 9 of 17
ALHondaGuy
Contributor

I disagree. I see Cap One's purchase of the defaulted CC accounts as no different that a JDB purchasing. Yes, they're bigger, but for all intensive purposes, the same standards apply.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.