Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the process of rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the process of rebuilding

I've been reading threads on this site for some time. I'm actually in the process of trying to rebuild my credit, but in the process I think I may have hurt my credit by applying fro credit. Here is a little background.

I have 38,000 in student loans, they are current because I'm still in school, but I have some old lenders that are showing negative before they got consolidated.

I have 1 repo that is to fall off next year, but I also have a car loan that is being reported that I will be done paying on around the same time the repo falls off. (no late or missed payments)

I paid a collection off and disputed that it is paid in full.

I disputed 1 account is too old and should be deleted from EQ and it has been removed from EQ, but should I do this for TU and EX also?

I also have about 3 or 4 more items in collections. One I disputed that the balance is incorrect.

Now to why I think I started hurting myself:

I have a

Navy Federal cashRewards CC with a $1000 CL (at 90% utilization currently because of car repairs this week)

Just approved for WalMart charge card $400 CL

Just approved for Lane Bryant charge card $250 CL

Just approved Victoria Secrets charge card $250 CL

Just approved for Total Visa CC $300 CL (crappy card I know)

But I have applied for a ton more that will be sending reply by mail (more than likely denied)

Credit scores (FAKOs):

Credit.com-586 EX

Credit Karma- 557 TU and 591 EQ

Should I start gardening now and pay down my NF CC?

Do I need to start the dispute with the other credit bureaus for the things I disputed with EQ?

And any advice anyone has is more than welcomed.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: In the process of rebuilding

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading threads on this site for some time. I'm actually in the process of trying to rebuild my credit, but in the process I think I may have hurt my credit by applying fro credit. Here is a little background.

I have 38,000 in student loans, they are current because I'm still in school, but I have some old lenders that are showing negative before they got consolidated.

I have 1 repo that is to fall off next year, but I also have a car loan that is being reported that I will be done paying on around the same time the repo falls off. (no late or missed payments)   Send the entity reporting the repo a GW letter asking it be removed.

I paid a collection off and disputed that it is paid in full.  We dont advocate disputing valid credit info the right way to go after this is with a GW letter    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

I disputed 1 account is too old and should be deleted from EQ and it has been removed from EQ, but should I do this for TU and EX also?

I also have about 3 or 4 more items in collections. One I disputed that the balance is incorrect.  If these are yours go after them with PFD offers. DIsputing isnt going to help you especially if it hasnt updated in awhile.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Now to why I think I started hurting myself:

I have a

Navy Federal cashRewards CC with a $1000 CL (at 90% utilization currently because of car repairs this week)

Just approved for WalMart charge card $400 CL

Just approved for Lane Bryant charge card $250 CL

Just approved Victoria Secrets charge card $250 CL

Just approved for Total Visa CC $300 CL (crappy card I know)

But I have applied for a ton more that will be sending reply by mail (more than likely denied)

Credit scores (FAKOs):

Credit.com-586 EX

Credit Karma- 557 TU and 591 EQ

Should I start gardening now and pay down my NF CC?  Yes quit apping for now, get your revolving debt down to 1 card reporting no more than 9% of its CL to the CRAs each month the rest at 0.

Do I need to start the dispute with the other credit bureaus for the things I disputed with EQ? If you have items that have timed out on CRTP then you can dispute them as too old to remain on file. The CRAs are supposed to talk between each other but it rarely happens so you need to address each CRA on its own. I would disregard the FAKOs they are not representative of your real Fico. Welcome to the board and good luck in your repair journey Smiley Happy

And any advice anyone has is more than welcomed.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I will start with not applying for anymore credit. Then send GW letters out. As I get extra money I will send PFDs out.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about the GW letter to the OC of the repo. Would I still send one to them if there still is a balance showing on my credit report?

Message 4 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Question about the GW letter to the OC of the repo. Would I still send one to them if there still is a balance showing on my credit report?

Oh, thought it was paid. If you owe then dont send a GW letter. If you want to pay it try the PFD

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm just going to let it fall off. Its due to fall off in Feburary. I don't plan on making any major purchases anytime soon.

Message 6 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I'm just going to let it fall off. Its due to fall off in Feburary. I don't plan on making any major purchases anytime soon.

Ok, start calling the CRAs for the early exclusion 6 mo in advance with TU 2-3 mo with the other 2 CRAs. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned by gdale6,

Request early removal from Transunion up to 6months early, and 1-2 months early for Equifax and Experian.

Also saw you ask about disputing an account past due for removal, definitely dispute this item from the other two for removal if you're aware it is reporting still on the rest of your credit report.

Glad to see you know some of the factors hurting your credit scores. Definitely a huge step in getting those scores up! Keep your head high and you're scores will be up there before you know.

I wish you the best of luck with your PFD requests!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you CreditSlayer! I figured I better stop applying for credit if I want my score to move up. Hopefully when I pay my NF cc down my score will jump some.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.