Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In this situation contact OC or CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In this situation contact OC or CA?

I have charge off from national grid that is reporting monthly under revolving accounts.

This same debt has been sent to national recovery collection agency and they are also reporting (not monthly).

I'm trying to decide who to contact first. is it true that a charge off is worse than a collection account? If thats the case I think I should contact the OC and and ask for PFD since having the CO removed would be more beneficial than having the collection removed. Any opinions?

Thanks for any help

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: In this situation contact OC or CA?

Both are major derogs.

I have never seen a posted statement from Fair Isaac as to the degree of scoring impact of one over the other.

If the OC still owns the debt, you could theoretically pay either, assuming a PFD offer is your intended contact.

However, if you contact the OC, you may find that their agreement with the debt collector precludes the OC from taking any payment.  If that is the case, then you will have no choice other than to deal with the debt collector.

Personallly, if PFD is your intent, I would contact the debt collector, as I would prefer deletion of the collection to that of the CO.

However, I doubt that the scoring difference of one over the other would be substantial.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: In this situation contact OC or CA?

thank you RobertEG for the clarification

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.