Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In with NFCU after recon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

In with NFCU after recon

I started my rebuild in earnest in January.  I've paid a few old things, had some erroneous info removed from my CR's,and am still working on a couple baddies.  My FICO 8 scores today are EQ 616, TU599, EX 579.  I have Discover, Citi, and BOA secured cards. I wanted to get in with NFCU as I'm planning to buy a car late summer after my numbers are up a bit more.  App'd and was approved for checking and savings. After reading a ton I though I might squeak in to their Cash Rewards card. Nope, denied on app and again after recon.  Decided a secured card was better than nothing and would help build a relationship with them. Ugh, I was so upset when that was denied too  and again after recon.  Yesterday, a week after the denial I received a phone call from them saying they'd made a mistake and that I am eligible for the secured card!  I did just a little happy dance, since I know I've still got a long way to go in my rebuild.  However, I'm happy to say I've got all the cards I need now,  I'm firmly in the garden until ready to app for a car loan.  Now to continue to get rid of baddies, watch my scores grow, and wait until all my secured cards graduate! Thanks to all here who post such awesome advice.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: In with NFCU after recon

Good job, enjoy Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP.  I dont see why they wouldnt give someone a secured card, so i'm glad they came thru for you.    I had just started an account with them recently too.   no card yet as i'm still working on my score and no money for more security deposits atm, but hopefully soon.    Welcome to NFCU.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even secured cards have to meet criteria I've discovered. PenFed gave me a $500 CLOC but wouldn't approve me for their secured card.
Message 4 of 8
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Good job and they are now starting to review them at 6 mths history for graduating so with some more work and history you could have an unsecured card in less than a year
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Even secured cards have to meet criteria I've discovered. PenFed gave me a $500 CLOC but wouldn't approve me for their secured card.

I guess i'll have to wait on that then. my scores still need to recover more before i get another secured card, but your post give me hope for the future, thank you

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still don't understand how secured cards can be denied but I'm glad this worked out for you. Good luck on your rebuild!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It surprised me too. It makes no sense that PenFed would give me a unsecured CLOC but not a secured card. I guess the only explanation may be different people reviewing the app?
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.