cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate collection on Credit report help!!

tag
ktsweets

Inaccurate collection on Credit report help!!

I've worked very hard to build excellent credit over the last 10 years.  I was planning on refinancing my mortgage, and thought it would be good to check my credit.  Lo & behold, there is completely inaccurate collection on my credit report from ENHANCED RECOVERY (TimeWarner Cable) for $2300!!!  I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this.  I cancelled TimeWarner 2 years ago to switch to At&t Uverse, and since I had been on Autopay, I actually received a REFUND from them!  Anyways, I got on the phone with TimeWarner right away, they opened an 'investigation', and can find NO record of ever reporting me to any collection agency, and confirmed that there is absolutely no balance owed to them (they even pointed out the refund I'd received from them - duh!).  BUT, and this is the worst part (and why I would never consider using their service again) - they said since they have nothing to do with the collection reporting, that there is nothing they can do, & I will need to resolve this with the credit bureau myself Smiley Mad 

Anyways, the first thing I'm going to do is dispute this with Transunion.  But I'm not sure which option to choose in the dispute - that I have no knowledge of this collection?  Or that my account was paid in full with the original creditor (and then add some commentary?  I want to make sure I do this right.  It's just so frustrating.  Any advice is appreciated 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Inaccurate collection on Credit report help!!

@ktsweets wrote:

I've worked very hard to build excellent credit over the last 10 years.  I was planning on refinancing my mortgage, and thought it would be good to check my credit.  Lo & behold, there is completely inaccurate collection on my credit report from ENHANCED RECOVERY (TimeWarner Cable) for $2300!!!  I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this.  I cancelled TimeWarner 2 years ago to switch to At&t Uverse, and since I had been on Autopay, I actually received a REFUND from them!  Anyways, I got on the phone with TimeWarner right away, they opened an 'investigation', and can find NO record of ever reporting me to any collection agency, and confirmed that there is absolutely no balance owed to them (they even pointed out the refund I'd received from them - duh!).  BUT, and this is the worst part (and why I would never consider using their service again) - they said since they have nothing to do with the collection reporting, that there is nothing they can do, & I will need to resolve this with the credit bureau myself Smiley Mad 

Anyways, the first thing I'm going to do is dispute this with Transunion.  But I'm not sure which option to choose in the dispute - that I have no knowledge of this collection?  Or that my account was paid in full with the original creditor (and then add some commentary?  I want to make sure I do this right.  It's just so frustrating.  Any advice is appreciated 

I would also contact the Collection agency.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can get it immediately blocked from your credit report by filing a police report stating that you never authorized the asserted account.

Check out the identity theft process sticky thread at the top of this forum for detalils.

You can also send a DV to the debt collector.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Time Warner willing to send you anything stating the account was never subject to collections? I've had good luck with that and unscrupulous collections in the past.

One agency is currently attempting to collect a debt in my name only that I've already settled from my ex-spouse. Debt was incurred after we were divorced. I think they figure they can scare enough people into paying that it's worth the legal cost.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I concur with RobertEG. USe the ID Theft provision of FCRA. Sounds like enhanced has a debt for someone with a similar enough name, they figure they'll just throw it against the wall and see what sticks. CA's have been doing this crap for decades. I think they should start getting fined for this kind of BS.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.