cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate judgement showing on credit report. How do you get it removed.

tag
inthelight314

Inaccurate judgement showing on credit report. How do you get it removed.

Hi everyone. I'm posting this question on behalf of my boyfriend. He recenlty pulled all three of his credit reports. To his surprise on all three of his credit reports there was a judgement showing from May of 2008 from Erin Capital Management. (Looking this company up online we see that it's a collection agency). My boyfriend is very confident that this is not money he owes and that the judgement was possibly someone else's with the same name, and falsely put on his report. His name is not that uncommon. The judgement is for $2,490.

My boyfriend then went ahead and disputed the judgement with all three credit beauras as being inaccurate on his report. Transunion and Experian both dropped the judgement from his credit report without hassle. However, Equifax is still reporting it on his credit report and says that it has been verified as his debt, and he must contact the court that has the judgement to further dispute it.

Fast forward to today. My boyfriend went ahead and contacted the court via phone to see about having this judgement dropped. The woman he spoke with at the court was not too interested in helping him and rather unfriendly. He unfortunately wasn't firm enough and said that he didn't believe the debt was his, instead of firmly stating he knows the debt isn't his. So I think the woman thought that my boyfriend was trying to pull one over on her and get out of the judgement. She kept saying that he could settle the debt for $500. Then when my boyfriend finally said that he knows the debt isn't his and what can he do, she said that he can visit the court and file forms. 

After researching online I see that the form that she was probably referring to that can be filed is called a "vacate judgement" form. 

If anyone has been in this situation or has dealt with something similar and has some advice on how to proceed with this, it would be greatly be appreciated! What are the chances of them dropping this judgement that he believes is someone else's with the same name? And why did Transunion and Experian drop this from his credit report upon dispute, but Equifax won't? 

Starting Score: EQ 634 2/24
Current Score: EQ 670 3/9
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.