cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate late payment notations - what to do?

tag
tinytot513

Inaccurate late payment notations - what to do?

Hello!  When I pulled my scores (for the first time in a LONG time), I noticed that my previous car loan is showing past due payments of 30, 60, 90, and 120 days.  I made my December loan payment and at the end of December 2012, I had a wreck and totaled the vehicle.  When I spoke with the loan company, they informed me to cease making the payments as they settled with my insurance company.  In April 2013, I received a check for $17 from the loan company.  My question is, since I don't believe they should be there, how should I go about getting these late payment notations removed?  Should I do a dispute, or try sending my old loan company a GW letter?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Inaccurate late payment notations - what to do?

I'd start with the friendliest of the methods.  I'd contact them for a GW explaining the situation.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Inaccurate late payment notations - what to do?

I would first give them a call and attempt to get them to remove the lates informally.

It could very well have simply been reporting triggered by their automated system.  They advised to stop payment, so would not therafter have basis for reporting delinquency.

Thus, I dont view your issue as one of requesting good-will, but rather of inaccuracy in their reporting.

I would hold off on filing a formal dispute unless/until informal efforts dont work.  You might avoid a pending disptue flag in your credit report.

If informal efforst fail, then I would send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), with the inaccuracy being the reproting of delinquency after being instructed that payment was not needed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.