Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistent reporting between Transunion and Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inconsistent reporting between Transunion and Equifax

Hi!

There is something I'd like to check with you guys. I've had a couple of lates back in 2011 following a job loss with a lender that since ceased it's operations.

On Transunion, it says the account was 30 days late in July and in September but reported current the rest of the year. However, on Equifax, it says "Two payments past due" for those two months and October shows up as being "Three payments past due".

My question is this, does "Two payments past due" equal 30 or 60 days late?

Also, since I have no other proof other that what is shown on Transunion, can I file a dispute with Equifax for removal of the 90 days late as it was reported as current with TU?

Thanks for your help!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Inconsistent reporting between Transunion and Equifax

I would dispute that it is wrong due to the innaccuracy across the bureaus and ask that they verify payment history and all other historical account information. In the event that the lender doesn't reply within the 30 days the account will be deleted from the bureaus you are disputing. I'm assuming if they ceased operations, that they wouldn't reply just FYI.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response!

I was hoping to app for a new car before the end of the month. If I choose to dispute, should I apply before disputing, dispute and then app or dispute, wait for the results and then apply?
Message 3 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

I would dispute, then apply for the car once you get your results. If your not in terrible need within 30-35 days. They have 30 days to return the results of your dispute from start to finish. If they don't reply it will be removed, which could net you some significant score change based on what other negatives you currently have reporting thus resulting in better APR.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need the car pretty bad and my scores are hovering around high 600 / low 700 so I might take a chance and see how it goes. Then again, I haven't had a car for the past two years but it's starting to get to me...
Message 5 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, you have no basis for dispute.

A creditor is not required to report every monthly delinquency to each CRA.

They can choose to report none, one, or all.

Lack of reporting to one CRA does not make the reporting to another inaccurate.

The FCRA only requires that what is reported cannot knowingly be inaccurate,  It does not require complete reporting of all derogs.

A dispute is more likely to result in addition of all delinquencies to each CRA.  I doubt that you want that....

Message 6 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

How would it result in addition if the company went out of business? Who would verify this information?
Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would presume they passed business records to heirs of the account.

Message 8 of 12
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

What was the business/credit if you don't mind me asking YoRk3? I had some bad checks I had wrote when I was 19, the stores I wrote them to went out of business. I disoutes and they were removed do to no reply so I guess it just depends on how well kept there records were and if they were/were not passed on.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a store card. The accounts were sold to a different creditor who doesn't have any kind of record. I don't know for sure whether the debt is valid but I know I got current around that time.

It bothers me because what if the information on TU is right? Then I'm the one with a 90 days late on his CR and I'll be hurting until it falls off...
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.