cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect account numbers on report disputable?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect account numbers on report disputable?

Hello all

I have been browsing thru the forums and I was not able to find an answer. I had 2 private student loans that I defaulted on about 3-4 years ago. I have since paid them off but I was noticing that on my FICO8 report each reporting agency shows a different account number for each loan, none of which match the original acct number I had with sally mae nor do they match the number that was attached to them by the collector. Is this something that is disputable? It's really the only negative marks I have and I would love to get rid of them. I recently had to move for work so I sold my home and I would like to buy another but my current credit rating is worrying me. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Incorrect account numbers on report disputable?

Yes, you can dispute the accuracy or completeness of any item of information in your credit file.

However, if the dispute is being made with the expectation of requring deletion of the accounts based on inaccuracy in reported account numbers, there is no such requirment.

The creditor will be required to investigate and either verify that the disputed info is accurate as reported, or update so as to overcome an agreed inaccuracy.

Deletion is only required if the information cannot either be verified or corrected, and then any deletion would only apply to the specific information that was subject of the dispute.  Deletion would not extend to the entire account or any derogs reported thereunder.

In the case of an account number, deletion by the CRA would not become an option, as it is necessary to have an account number.

Thus, if the creditor/CRA cannot verify the accuracy as reported, they will likely correct to the number you provide when supporting your dispute.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.