Contributor
CasperJack14

Increase CL on secured card?

I have a secured card through Capital One that has a $400 CL right now.  I use it and pay it off every month.  I have recurring charges that will charge to it like my car insurance, Hulu/Netflix, Internet/TV, etc - that's basically all that I use it for.  The total of all of those recurring charges run the balance up to about $275.  I find that it seems to always have a balance when the CRA's pull - which drives my utilization up and costs me points.  What's the best way to cause a point increase?  Should I increase the CL on this card so that it's not eating up as much of a % to have a balance on the date the CRA's pull?  The only problem is that the secured card through Capital One never graduates to unsecured, so any deposit I put on to increase the credit limit - I never get that back until I close the account.  I have been "gardening" ever since I bought my Jeep in July, and it seems that the only times I lose points - it's for the utilization % on this card.

Starting Score: 539 EQ 06/19/2012
Current Score: 615 EQ 08/13/2012, 563 EX 07/27/2012
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Member
wonderandawe

Re: Increase CL on secured card?

I have a Cap One Secure Platinum Card and it posts to my credit report on the day the new statement is cut.  I PIF each month and try not to use it until after the statement cuts (though I will use it to buy lunch or something, so a small amount will report).

myFICO Equifax - 675 (June 2013)
myFICO TransUnion - 700! (June 2013)
Credit Karma - 682 (June 2013)
Starting Score - 603 (December 2012)

In the garden since 6/7/2013

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+