Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Credit Line on a Secured Card

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Increasing Credit Line on a Secured Card

Hey everyone.

Since the amount of available credit vs. debt is weighed heavily in the FICO score, should I add more money to my secured credit card line?  Currently, I have a secured card with a limit of $300 and they offered me an opportunity to increase it to up to $5,000. Of course, that's cash for them, because I'd have to come up with the $4700, but was just wondering if anyone else has done this and it increased your score.  I was thinking about adding $1000 to increase my avail. credit and keep my credit utl. to less than 10%.  Thanks.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Increasing Credit Line on a Secured Card

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hey everyone.

Since the amount of available credit vs. debt is weighed heavily in the FICO score, should I add more money to my secured credit card line?  Currently, I have a secured card with a limit of $300 and they offered me an opportunity to increase it to up to $5,000. Of course, that's cash for them, because I'd have to come up with the $4700, but was just wondering if anyone else has done this and it increased your score.  I was thinking about adding $1000 to increase my avail. credit and keep my credit utl. to less than 10%.  Thanks.

Yes. Increasing your CL will help your UTIL and help your score (as long as you keep your revolving debt under 10%).

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any other debts at the moment? If so, I'd say that $1k would be better spent paying down existing debt, as oposed to granting what's probably a interest free loan to your secured card issuer.

Do you have an emergency fund? is it at least 6 months of your living expenses? If you don't have any debt, I'd look to padding a liquid emergency fund before increasing the limit on a secured card.

If you're debt free, and you've got at least 6 to 12 months worth of living expenses at your finger tips, then increasing the amount of your secured credit line is probably a good deal, if you're a PIFer, anyway. IMO! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Yes,  I do have some other debts (less than $3,000) at the moment and I'm working on my emergency fund.

Good advice.  I'll work on paying down the debt and increasing the emergency fund. 

Thanks.

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 4 of 6
MissMia75
Frequent Contributor

I would do 1 of 2 things.  I would take the money and pay down other CC's giving me a lower utilization, or I would place the funds in a high interest bearing savings account and allow it to draw interest.

Starting Score: 06/2011 505 EX 523 Lender Pulled
Current Score: 08/2011 628 EX 575 Lender Pulled
11/14/2011 TU 584

Goal Score: 700

***Closed on my home 05/18/2012***

Message 5 of 6
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

I currently have a few savings accounts drawing in good interest right now.  I'm sticking to my plan of paying down current debt and building my emergency fund.

Thanks to all.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.