Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Informal PFD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Informal PFD

Hi. So I was wondering does a PFD have to be so formal as the examples on here? I know it has to have a line stating that you are not claiming the debt. But as far as everything else does it have to be on there? I had one person even though they did delete for me say that they recieved my correspondence by mail "some sort of form letter." I'm just wondering does anybody have an expample of one that is less formal that they are willing to share or is the one on here the only way to go. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Informal PFD

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi. So I was wondering does a PFD have to be so formal as the examples on here? I know it has to have a line stating that you are not claiming the debt. But as far as everything else does it have to be on there? I had one person even though they did delete for me say that they recieved my correspondence by mail "some sort of form letter." I'm just wondering does anybody have an expample of one that is less formal that they are willing to share or is the one on here the only way to go. 

PFDs are essentially good will letters, so you can make them any way you think will work.. I have made very very very informal PFD offers that have been accepted.. Smiley Happy

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Many of the sample PFD offers make requirements that may mitigate against a feeling of GW, not assist it.

Much of a PFD negotiation may require a degree of trust.  A creditor or debt collector may balk at putting their agreement in writing, particularly under letterhead signed by an officer, as many sample PFDs steadfastly demand.  Deletions based on payment are contrary to their credit reporting agreements, and thus putting such "agreements" in writing may be an issue.

However, since they dont have to provide a reason to the CRA should they simply report a deletion, they may be more inclined if not required to provide written agreement.

Many also recommend never to call a debt collector.  While there is some wisdom in that recommendation, one might have more success with oral negotiations.

It is always best to have any agreement in writing, but if it becomes a show-stopper, you might choose to back off.

Message 3 of 4
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

+1 Just be clear with your request, state your situation, and don't be hostile or confrontational; I know people who were like that and never got the collector to agree to anything.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.