tag
SoDenied
New Contributor

Inquiries

Inquiries

- Is it worth it to dispute these?

- success stories?

- I have 6, and it's screwing me hard.

All the sample letters for inquiries are really short and don't look effective. Anyone has one to share?

I want to re-apply for CaptialOne to restablish a relationship with them. They CO me in '07, want to pay the debt and start fresh.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Inquiries

@SoDenied wrote:

Inquiries

- Is it worth it to dispute these?

- success stories?

- I have 6, and it's screwing me hard.

All the sample letters for inquiries are really short and don't look effective. Anyone has one to share?

I want to re-apply for CaptialOne to restablish a relationship with them. They CO me in '07, want to pay the debt and start fresh.

Are these your inquiries? What would be the basis for your dispute?

Message 2 of 5
SoDenied
New Contributor

There are 6, 5 of them aren't mine.

Message 3 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@SoDenied wrote:

There are 6, 5 of them aren't mine.

If someone is pulling your credit without your permission, you need to contact the CRAS. Place a fraud alert and/or freeze on your credit report. 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Disputing inquiries is difficult.

First, you cannot use the drect dispute process.  The rulemakers explicitly exlcuded direct disputes pertaining to inquiries, as they did not consider one who requests your credit report to be a "furnisher of information," but rather just the opposite.... one requesting to see what others have furnished.

Second, an inqiree does not need your express authorization to obtain your credit report.

If they meet one of the permissible purposes listed in FCRA 604, that entitles them to your CR with no need for your authorization.

Third, any inquiry is required to be accompanied by a statement of permissible purpose before the CRA fills the request.

If they have in their files a statement of permissible purpose, they will send the CR.

Once they send the CR, the cat is out of the bag, with no way of undoing.  Thus, the CRAs are not likely to delete the inquiry unless the xonsumer has evidence that the stated permissible purpose was either not provided, or was itself inaccurate.

Thus, prior to disputing, you would need a copy of their stated permissible purpose in order to document an actual error or inaccuracy.

You couls lalways request a copy under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1), which entitles a consumer to any information of record in their credit file, but that takes time and effort, and by the time you have documentation necessary to file a dispute, the inquiry has most likely passed one year, and thus is no longer affecting your score.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.