Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Dispute Letter Template?

tag
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Inquiry Dispute Letter Template?

Does anyone have a letter template for disputing an inquiry on my credit report? I searched the boards, but couldn't find one.

Thanks!!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Re: Inquiry Dispute Letter Template?

I did just reach in another thread though, that another board member recommends never disputing directly with the CRAs because of the potential for a fraud alert. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I won't be applying for credit anytime soon but I don;t want to create more hassle for myself in the long run if it's really difficult to get a fraud alert removed.

Also, at what point (length of time) do inquiries no longer really matter?

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you decide to dispute an inquiry, you have no option other than to dispute through the CRA.

The new direct dispute process implemented on 7/1/2010 under 16 CFR 660.4 specfically exempts diect dirsputes relating to CR inquiries. See 16 CFR 660.4(b)(1)(iii). 

Message 3 of 6
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Thanks.

I did some additional research after posting and saw that most inquiries have no effect after one year. Is this true? If so, I don't even really care about the inquiries because even though I think one was invalid, it won't impact me in 1 month.

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@MBOhio2 wrote:

Thanks.

I did some additional research after posting and saw that most inquiries have no effect after one year. Is this true? If so, I don't even really care about the inquiries because even though I think one was invalid, it won't impact me in 1 month.

For scoring purposes inquiries are not factored in after a year but are visible to potential creditors for 2 years.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 6
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

That is very helpful, thank you. My inquiries aren't outrageous, just 3 in the last 12 months, so I doubt a lender would be concerned by them. However, ever additional point I can gain in my score is really important right now!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.