Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry NO authorization

tag
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Inquiry NO authorization

Well if that is the premise it does not matter if you rent with a debit or a credit card as they have no way of knowing you can handle a liability.  When the agent swipes ypur cc it doesnt show them a limmit nor your creditworthiness.  I might also mention that the debit card is swiped for the same amout as a credit card.  Noone in their right mind would allow a hard credit inquiry to rent a vehicle for a holiday weekend. Debit or credit card .  Naturally given the explaination of the associate I was led to believe it was a soft pull.  Time will tell as I have sent an email hopefully to the proper party at Hertz.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is completely standard in the industry to check your credit if you do not have a major credit card.  Debit cards do not count.  They assume if you have a CC, you are credit worthy enough to not need one and they can come after your card for any extra charges.  It is not so easy with a debit card.  This is mostly in place for cash customers though.  They will take a huge deposit and want to see your credit, and make sure it isn't in the tank.  They also can use your credit check to verify your known addresses etc, in case you don't return the car.  They can pass that info on to their recovery team.

To the op: " I rented a car associate told me the credit check wasn't like when you buy a car or house but rather identifying info name address and cc in same address as explained thought this to be soft inquiry when actually it was a hard inquiry 4th time sending letter to Hertz to have these removed."

You did in fact authorize them to check your credit.  You can't authorize only a soft pull.  Most people don't know the difference between a soft and a hard pull, so I would never take anyone at their word on this.  Always assume it could be a hard pull in the future.

Your real beef though may be the 2nd check they did four days later.  I don't see why they would need to do that.  This is exactly why having even a basic secured or subprime card is helpful, of course beyond the credit advantages.  Some things, like renting cars, and other things that require a CC hold, are just so much harder without one.

Message 12 of 15
annielorie
Valued Contributor

jimbo have credit card there was a problem with my rental at enterprise and it was over new years weekend I could not realease the 1000 over that enterprise swiped card for. But i was very s[ecific with girl re credit Ill win dont worry itll take some tree shaking but It'll get done

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 13 of 15
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

jimbo have credit card there was a problem with my rental at enterprise and it was over new years weekend I could not realease the 1000 over that enterprise swiped card for. But i was very s[ecific with girl re credit Ill win dont worry itll take some tree shaking but It'll get done

I wish you well, just be careful trying to get disputes removed, it could initiate a fraud alert.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 14 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

The difference between a pre~authorization on a debit versus a credit card is that in some cases, funds in your bank might not be actually be there because of how banks process debits against your account, or if something unusual were to occur like a levy or garnishment. This is why rental companies check your CR when you pre~authorize with a debit card.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.