Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry without permission

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Inquiry without permission

Can collection companies pull your credit report without your permission causing an inquiry that counts against you?

How do I fight this because the Credit Bureau won't do anything?

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Inquiry without permission

@jordanmedical wrote:

Can collection companies pull your credit report without your permission causing an inquiry that counts against you?

How do I fight this because the Credit Bureau won't do anything?

The collection companies will indicate if they own an account on you, they have 'permissible purpose' to check on your credit file. RobertEG posted this in another response:

'Debt collectors base their permissible purpose on FCRA 604(a)(3)(A), which reads:

"To a person which it (the CRA) has reason to believe intends to use the information in connection with a credit transaction involving the consumer on whom the information is to be furnished and involving the extension of credit to, or review or collection of an accout of, the consumer'

I really don't know what recourse you have to be honest...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.