cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Loan balance Reduction - At what point is there any increase in score

tag
Emma1137
Valued Member

Installment Loan balance Reduction - At what point is there any increase in score

Hi All,

PLEASE HELP!!!   Smiley Happy

I am STILL in the process of try to get a mortgage and I am having a heck of a time getting my Equifax score up.  My TU has improved 50 points in the last few months but my Equifax is stuck. My lender is using my middle score and my Experian has some medical collections that none of the other CRAs have and they are part of a longer dispute negotiation so that will be mu lowest score.  I can't get those deleted yet so have been focusing on TU and EQ.  On my EQ,  I have a few remaining baddies that I am working on getting removed but nothing else I can think if to do to get a score bump.  I have 1-5% util on my 3 CCs and a 6% util on one where I'm and AU.  I have a newer auto loan that has reported for 3 months but really no other loans.  I got Care Credit/Synchrony to delete my older lates, Cap 1 auto from 2 years ago refused to and I'm still waiting to see if Springleaf will delete a couple if lates from 2 years ago.   I need an Equifax bump of 9 points to qualify for a conventional mtg.  My EQ is at 611 now.  I have some available cash and was wondering whether -  if I get below a certain balance on my car loan as compareed to the original balance - I'll see some sort of bump..  Even a few points would help...  I know it wouldn't be much but I don't know what else to do.  The only other baddies I have are a paid charge-off from a util company and the corresponding CA where I paid off the charges in exchange for their agreement to delete the accounts and they refused after I paid.  I have BBB complaints and an IL Attorney General complaint against the utility company but may have no resolution for a few weeks.  I also have 2 ECMC paid charged-off student loans that are due to fall off July 1, 2016 and I cannot get Equifax to agree to an early exclusion no matter what I do or who I talk to.  TU deleted them in December but I can't get anyone at EQ to do it.   Any ideas???  I would appreciate ANY ADVICE!!!!    Smiley Sad   I'm going insane!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment Loan balance Reduction - At what point is there any increase in score

@Emma1137 wrote:

Hi All,

I am STILL in the process of try to get a mortgage and I am having a heck of a time getting my Equifax score up.  My TU has improved 50 points in the last few months but my Equifax is stuck. My lender is using my middle score and my Experian has some medical collections that none of the other CRAs have and they are part of a longer dispute negotiation so that will be mu lowest score.  I can't get those deleted yet so have been focusing on TU and EQ.  On my EQ,  I have a few remaining baddies that I am working on getting removed but nothing else I can think if to do to get a score bump.  I have 1-5% util on my 3 CCs and a 6% util on one where I'm and AU.  I have a newer auto loan that has reported for 3 months but really no other loans.  I got Care Credit/Synchrony to delete my older lates, Cap 1 auto from 2 years ago refused to and I'm still waiting to see if Springleaf will delete a couple if lates from 2 years ago.   I need an Equifax bump of 9 points to qualify for a conventional mtg.  My EQ is at 611 now.  I have some available cash and was wondering whether -  if I get below a certain balance on my car loan as compareed to the original balance - I'll see some sort of bump..  Even a few points would help...  I know it wouldn't be much but I don't know what else to do.  The only other baddies I have are a paid charge-off from a util company and the corresponding CA where I paid off the charges in exchange for their agreement to delete the accounts and they refused after I paid.  I have BBB complaints and an IL Attorney General complaint against the utility company but may have no resolution for a few weeks.  I also have 2 ECMC paid charged-off student loans that are due to fall off July 1, 2016 and I cannot get Equifax to agree to an early exclusion no matter what I do or who I talk to.  TU deleted them in December but I can't get anyone at EQ to do it.   Any ideas???  I would appreciate ANY ADVICE!!!!    Smiley Sad   I'm going insane!!!

I have heard varying numbers for the installment loan balance bump - the most common one is when you get to 10%. I've also heard people say they got score luv when they got below 50%. You may see a few points getting it below 90%.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment Loan balance Reduction - At what point is there any increase in score

For the medical collections google the HIPAA Letter Process follow it exactly as laid out.  If you have problems finding the website or have questions PM me.

Message 3 of 6
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Emma1137 wrote:

Hi All,

How much time do you have?  If you're short on time, pay the loan down below 30%.  If have time, try 79%; then 49%; 29%. I recently got a score boost of 22-27 pts on all CBAs when I paid my Auto loan down to 3%..  It was at 30% so I can't tell you what %s counted in between.  I know I've heard of a boost below 80%.  So if you want to hold on money for downpayment start at 79%.  If short on time, go for 29%

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Emma1137
Valued Member

Thanks.  Yes, I am doing that as of a few weeks ago.  I know it will be a slow process but hopefully it will get done...

Message 5 of 6
Emma1137
Valued Member

Thank you.  I don't think I can pay it down to 29% and have enough for my DP.  It's around $22k now.   I think my statement cuts in a few days so it would be a good time to get a quick rescore.  I may pay down to 79% and then if I have more funds and they can do a quick re-report, I'll try and pay down in about 10 days.  I guess that would be the best plan.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that there is a bump under 80%..  Smiley Happy  I guess that's all I can do.  At least I can keep paying down the loan and maybe have a good enough score to refi in several months...  Good to know you had such a good increase when you got so close to 0%...  Looking forward to that time!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.