Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment Resistence

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Installment Resistence

Hi everyone,

So I am currently hovering at a FICO score of 678 with 2 pending FPB deletes.  I have my BK from 2008, and CO Credit Card from 2012 as the only derogs on my reports.  No collections and I have $29k in available credit on cards, carrying no balances (use and pay off cards each billing cycle). I have 14k in Student Loans, current never late for 3 years. I have a car loan from 2013 that I paid of in 6 months for $9k.... so here is my question./questions.

A mortgage will come in the next 1.5-2 years because I am accumulating a 20% Down Payment.  And I know installment loans are important, student loans apparently dont count a lot, and since ive been paying so much interest I am only at like 98% balance to limit ration on that, I wonder how much that actually hurts my score.

Both my '09 Smart Car, and '09 Nissan Murano are paid off, they are in great shape so I can not justify buying a new car, but apparently I need an installment loan to enrich my history..... what are your thoughts on this?   I am also waiting to see what the 2 FPB deletes are gonna do for my score, they are COs from 2012.

It feels great to be back in the "safe zone" if you will, for my scores and only better times ahead, I just wonder what you smart people think my next move should be? Ive had crap credit since 2007 so its like the area I am in now is like kinda new for me.  PS im 30 years old if that factors in to what some smart moves would be considering I have about 35 years anticipated time in the labor force, and my annual income is $120k.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Installment Resistence

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone,

So I am currently hovering at a FICO score of 678 with 2 pending FPB deletes.  I have my BK from 2008, and CO Credit Card from 2012 as the only derogs on my reports.  No collections and I have $29k in available credit on cards, carrying no balances (use and pay off cards each billing cycle). I have 14k in Student Loans, current never late for 3 years. I have a car loan from 2013 that I paid of in 6 months for $9k.... so here is my question./questions.

A mortgage will come in the next 1.5-2 years because I am accumulating a 20% Down Payment.  And I know installment loans are important, student loans apparently dont count a lot, and since ive been paying so much interest I am only at like 98% balance to limit ration on that, I wonder how much that actually hurts my score.

Both my '09 Smart Car, and '09 Nissan Murano are paid off, they are in great shape so I can not justify buying a new car, but apparently I need an installment loan to enrich my history..... what are your thoughts on this?   I am also waiting to see what the 2 FPB deletes are gonna do for my score, they are COs from 2012.

It feels great to be back in the "safe zone" if you will, for my scores and only better times ahead, I just wonder what you smart people think my next move should be? Ive had crap credit since 2007 so its like the area I am in now is like kinda new for me.  PS im 30 years old if that factors in to what some smart moves would be considering I have about 35 years anticipated time in the labor force, and my annual income is $120k.

Who told you that?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I read that somwhere...... , so could that 98% utilization be killing my score?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got new advice from my fico that to maximize my score I need a student loan!  I think they count. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to carry a small balance on one of your cards.

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You dont "need" open installment loans.

It may provide a slight tweek in mix of credit, but it is not major.

Installment credit does not count any where near as much in scoring as the successful use of discretionary, revolving credit.

Closed installment loans that dont show derogs are excellent showing in a manual review of your timely payment of installment credit.

I would not advise opening an installment loan just to improve potential mix of credit.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.