cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment accounts

tag
noel182002

Installment accounts

We are currently rebuilding and we have two installment loans, will paying down those balances help increase the score?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Installment accounts

@noel182002 wrote:
We are currently rebuilding and we have two installment loans, will paying down those balances help increase the score?

I think that utilization on installments is graded, but it is not nearly as significant as a revolving account.  Revolving utilization is the highest easily controllable FICO scoring factor.  So, if you don't have any credit cards, you should get one.... or three even.  And keep the utilization low.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

After paying off 2 installment loans (90 days same as cash & 13 mos Conns Card)  i can affirm it has very low to little impact on improving scores.

Good to have variety of tradelines, but it hasnt really made a big difference.

Message 3 of 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@noel182002 wrote:

Hello,

What else do you have on your reports that could be possibly holding your score up? Late payments or just high ulitization? 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I would not recommend paying off the installmemt loans unless you want to save the interest on them. Add a couple of credit cards and that will improve your credit profile which in turn will deliver improving scores over time.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.