Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installment loan?

tag
savings4tomorrow
Regular Contributor

Installment loan?

In the attempt to rebuild my credit I applied for a 6 month/shared secured consumer loan through my credit union.   They did a HP, got the call we were approved, etc, etc.  Now I realize that this will probably not help my score all that much in the future. Plus all the score simulators have this decreasing my score.  Right now I have a Capone secured, and just recently (this past week) open a VS and Express card.   Now here is where I need some direction.  I will probably need to purchase a car VERY soon.  My car is on its last leg PLUS it’s a gas guzzler.  I have been trying to buy one cash but really can’t find anything with what I have.  SO if I need to get an auto loan soon, should I not take the consumer loan which I was only taking so I can mix it up a little bit?  My ultimate goal is to buy a new home sooner than later and I really wish I could hold off on the car purchase but not sure it’s something that I can do for much longer.  Advice please!  Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Installment loan?

The loan would benefit you by making on time payments for the course of the loan.  It is an installment loan and if it was the only one you had it would also help in mix of credit.

Your score could drop a bit when it reports but would recover rather quickly.

Would your CU finanace your auto loan?

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.