cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance Collection Account Advice

tag
OCCA

Insurance Collection Account Advice

I'm just getting started with rebuilding my credit and I really want to say how much I appreciate all the information available here!  I have a collection account showing up on my TU report that I could use some advice on--

Progressive Insurance Collection—Serviced by Credit Collection Services (CCS); reported 12/1/12; balance $221; DOFD 12/1/08.

I had a Progressive Insurance policy March thru August of 2008 that was PIF 8/22/08.  The collection amount is approx equal to the down payment I paid for the policy I did have, but I used a different insurance company for the 2nd half of 2008.  I don’t recall if there was any auto-renew option on the Progressive policy.  Either way, I don't believe I owe this money.

Is it too late to start with a DV letter?

If they are able to validate the debt based on an auto-renew policy feature, would a PDF be my next step? 

I live in CA where the SOL is 4-years for a written contract.  Am I risking re-starting this time period by doing anything?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: Insurance Collection Account Advice

Progressive is terrible that way. I had a collection with them too. They said I owed money and I had to dispute it numerous times. I had my insurance company that I transfered to send them several documents to prove that I changed insurances and they have some sort of doc that they have to send anyway when taking over coverage. It took a while but I eventually have to dispute it with the credit bureaus and show when my coverage ended, who picked it up, how I had no lapse with the DMV and it was a giant hassle.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 5
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I dealt with them too.

I knew their underhanded antics, and purposely called to advise my "non renewal," then called back a week later, and told them to remove autopay from my policy. Had I not done the AP removal, they would've stuck it to me, as I recieved a letter in the mail saying my policy renewal was terminated, as my payment method was invalid...LOL.

Message 3 of 5
coterotie
Established Contributor

I had to deal with them as well.  Turned me over to NCO.  I attempted to negotiate, send in documents etc. finally gave up and waited them out.  EQ and EXP came off several months ago, TU came off in February.  Of course Progressive keeps trying to get me to come back to them.

FWIW, NCO said they didn't own the debt and so therefore wouldn't negotiate it down. Since it was past the SOL and close to the non-report date, I couldn't make an economic case to pay it.  Especially since I had cancelled the policy and didn't feel like I owed it.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Same with me.  I did not renew and still got charged even though I was PIF.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.